SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After continuing Service Theft Alarm messages and having already replaced the batteries a year ago, I'm wondering if my tilt sensor has gone bad. Is it possible to just unplug this sensor and leave it off?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can just unplug the electrical connection to the sensor but you will have the "service theft alarm" message at every startup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know roughly how much the tilt sensor costs?

saabparts.net lists the following item:
Description Year MSRP Price Your Price
Sensor, motion sensor, 9-5 99-06 $244.00 $183.00

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You can get the alarm system read via Tech 2 for a conclusive diagnosis rather than shooting in the dark at a faulty motion sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but some stuff I discovered today clarifies some issues regarding this subject;

I own two 1999 9-5 wagons, both US spec. NO tilt sensor is installed in either car; although both were bought used, I suspect they were made this way, since the US owner's manual makes no mention of it in the alarm features list. I also own a Tech-2. The Tech-2 programmer allows the installed sensors in a 9-5 to be set for just glass, or both glass and tilt; this is found under the TWICE "adjustments">"anti-theft installation" menu. If set for both with no tilt sensor installed, the SID display will very quickly show SERVICE THEFT ALARM and Tech-2 diagnostics will show a "no communication with tilt sensor" or similar error. If you own a car with a bad tilt sensor and want to simply remove it (or disable it in place), changing this setting to glass sensors only should cause TWICE to no longer look for it, and permanently get rid of the SID warning. Setting to DOOR ALARM ONLY using the Night Panel button apparently does not stop the TWICE unit from monitoring the sensors (even though it disables triggering the alarm from them), so this will not get rid of the SERVICE THEFT ALARM warning.

On a related matter, I just replaced the CR71335 siren batteries in both cars with CR123As, which work fine. Pay attention to the current ratings on the ones you buy; I found CR123As with current capacities ranging all the way from 400mA to 1550mA (almost four times as much). Radio Shack sells a (1400mA Enercell brand) two-pack for around $18. These are leadless, so a little creativity in spring contact design is required. Soldering to the end terminals is possible, but will significantly shorten battery life if too much heat is used. Skip the glue when mounting them; the non-conductive stuff used originally is expensive, and woe unto you if you use a conductive substitute... Instead simply drill two small holes in the PCB (using care not to sever a foil run on either side of the board; there's plenty of room) and you can strap them down very tightly using one wire tie. Be sure to run some silicon sealant into the casing groove when closing up the siren; the original waterproofing arrangement doesn't survive dis-assembly. You'll also need to disconnect the car battery to dump the error codes in the TWICE (it's a good idea to do this before removing the siren unit from the car, and reconnect it only when done reinstalling).

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You can get the alarm system read via Tech 2 for a conclusive diagnosis rather than shooting in the dark at a faulty motion sensor.
Agreed and then get the tech to just turn off the faulty bit - no one takes notice of cars alarms (unless to complain) and it will still be immobilised!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts