SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know whtehr it is turning clockwise or anti to tighten the wastegate actuator manually

I need to tighten it so it doesnt open so easily during low boost cos Ive meddled with it.... ;)

·
Banned
975 Posts
so unmeddle with it? Last i checked the waste gate on these cars was controlled by the ECU.... I didn't know you could adjust it.... if thats true then what did you loosen :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
soggy said:
so unmeddle with it? Last i checked the waste gate on these cars was controlled by the ECU.... I didn't know you could adjust it.... if thats true then what did you loosen :lol:
It can be adjusted by a screw just like any other integrated wastegated Turbo unit except there is compensating ecu control ..via a solenoid n actuator.

Now that ive put it back.my orientation from the top looking down is screwed. :eek:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
soggy said:
I suppose you might need to adjust it if the ECU is reporting problems.

Changing the functional length of the control arm a little won't matter. The ECU is controlling everything based on air mass, temperature, and pressure. It really doesn't care if it has to deflect the wastegate 30 degrees or 40 degrees to get what it wants.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ctrlz said:
I suppose you might need to adjust it if the ECU is reporting problems.

Changing the functional length of the control arm a little won't matter. The ECU is controlling everything based on air mass, temperature, and pressure. It really doesn't care if it has to deflect the wastegate 30 degrees or 40 degrees to get what it wants.

so basically it should either work a little harder or less depending whether i have shortened or lengthed it and NO diffrence would be detected...... but somehow there is a diffrence :roll: it seems to open too easily now, ie loose

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
EarthDweller, how are you able to determine that the wastegate opens too easily?...are you not able to hold boost?

hmmm, i'm very interested in this. just as he was saying, if the ECU will do whatever it takes to reach certain parameters, then why would EarthDweller notice the wastegate being too slack? if the wastegate is not allowing normal boost conditions, something has changed, and the ECU has not compensated for it (at least not yet...perhaps it may adapt over time).

also, if you notice the wastegate opening too soon, why don't you just go in the opposite direction with the screw?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Cojoroh said:
if the wastegate is not allowing normal boost conditions, something has changed, and the ECU has not compensated for it
I agree.

I would suspect something like a vacuum leak or sticking boost control solenoid (BCS) before I messed with the functional length of the wastegate control rod. Proper operation of the BCS also requires good electrical connections.

The BCS is not simply on or off, it is rapidly switched on and off many times per second. This is called the "duty cycle." Rapid switching allows pressure to the wastegate actuator to be adjusted incrementally. So the ECM can hold the wastegate at a fixed position indefinitely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts