SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left one is lose so I fugure since it has to be swapped anyway I may as well do the right also.

Question one: Is it really as simple as it looks?
Question two: Should I spend 40 bucks for the OEMs, or 18 for the Karlyn ones?
Question three: Anything I should be extra careful with?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I am cheap. So I'll go for the cheaper one.

It is simple and straightforward. Remove the front wheel. Loosen and remove the nut under the tie-rod end ball joint. Slip the nut back on to the ball joint stem. Place a vertical hydraulic jack under the nut and jack until the weight of the car pop the ball joint out of its tapered stem. Remove the nut.

Install the new ball joint in reverse steps of removal.

Do the realignment. Go to a professional.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yaofeng said:
vertical hydraulic jack
I've been meanin' to get one of them :). Works out better than bumming them off of people.

What I'm wondering is how to "pop" the ball joint back in. G-clamp maybe?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I noticed my mistake as soon as I hit "submit".

You don't pop it in. Just tighten the nut will do. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yaofeng said:
I noticed my mistake as soon as I hit "submit".

You don't pop it in. Just tighten the nut will do. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for that, the pics from eeuroparts didn't show a ball either.

I'm still getting a hydro jack though, I really should have one with the amount of time I spend under the 4 family cars.

Thank your for your help, I'm gonna order the parts right now.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The ball is underneath the rubber.

I have you beat. I am taking care of six cars. Although one of them I am trying to sell.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also the family IT guy :eek:. It's actually not that bad anymore since I've taught them how not to get spyware.

I did see your list of cars though. Nice BMWs, I would love a 5-speed 5 series wagon myself.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I used to be the family IT guy. Now I just ask my two sons. They know much more than I do on anything computer related.

I am also dreaming occasionally for a 528it, in 5 speed.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bloody hell!

It's finally done (bad idea on the hydralic jack for popping out the ball joints. A Pickle Fork works much better ;)) and the rust was what killed me.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
valbowski1980 said:
Bloody hell!

It's finally done (bad idea on the hydralic jack for popping out the ball joints. A Pickle Fork works much better ;)) and the rust was what killed me.
I thought Yankees don't use that phrase. Only Englishmen do.

Don't get where the hang up was using the hydraulic jack. It always works for me. I don't even have a ball joint remover.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yaofeng said:
I thought Yankees don't use that phrase. Only Englishmen do.

Don't get where the hang up was using the hydraulic jack. It always works for me. I don't even have a ball joint remover.
I'm a Yankee who live in London for a bit :). I tried the jack but the joint wouldn't budge and I didn't want to stress anything. That and Autozone rents tools for free so I went that rout.

I got the alighnment done today and it steers like a new car.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When I swapped my transmission with the assistance of a friend who worked as a mechanic for a while, he split the ball joint with a long bar. Can't exactly picture it, but I think he put it over the lower arm, and then put one end under the subframe, and applied his weight to the other end and it just popped apart.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You're a bunch of thugs I tell you, the lot of you!!! :cheesy:

Nobody ever heard of a proper screw type ball joint splitter??

David.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
djtaylor said:
You're a bunch of thugs I tell you, the lot of you!!! :cheesy:

David.

You have to show me a picture as I couldn't in my head. My hydraulic jack works everytime except in applications where the stem is up and the ball is down. So it would not work on the ball joing at the 9k front control arm at the bottom of the strut but perfect for the tie-rod end.

Plus I do not remove the ball joint to replace it every time. A ball joint spitter destroys the ball joint.

·
Banned
637 Posts
I've noticed that Genuine mechanics use two small ball peen hammers to 'pop' the tapered shafts of ANY ball type joint.
Simultaneously hitting ether side of the cast momentarily deforms the metal slightly.. forcing the tapered shaft out neatly.
A joy to behold, pure skill, replacing ingnorant brute force, a trick well worth learning :)

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
djtaylor said:

David.
I have but couldn't find one. The pickle fork was fine since I wasn't going to reuse the the tire/track rod ends anyways, and on top of all that it was free.

Yaofeng, here is a pic of the screw type splitter

Barse the two hammer method does sound cool. I'll give it a shot next time around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts