SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the tie rod ends on my 2001 9-5 wagon. I had to cut off the lock nut since it had seized and the tie rod popped right out. Unfortunately, I am now unable to unscrew the tie rod end from the track rod. I have tried PB-Blaster. It is really tough to get a good grip on the tie rod and the track rod--I am using a pipe wrench on the rod and an open end wrench on the tie rod end. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
got it off, now what?

I was able to remove the tie rod end using a combination of a pipe wrench and a 21mm open end wrench. Must have been the original parts because it didn't get easier until the last turn. Can someone tell me the correct torque for the nut that holds the tie rod end in the knuckle?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how to tighten?

OK, both new tie rod ends are now in place. I can't figure out how to tighten the nut on the bottom (after the bolt end goes through the steering knuckle). Turning the nut causes the bolt-like part to spin freely. I had a similar problem once installing sway bar links but then found out they had allen wrench holes in the bottoms to hold them still. Is there a similar trick for tie rod ends?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
figured it out

I was able to hold the tie rod end firmly against the knuckle with a pair of large water pump pliers while turning the nut with a socket. This provided enough friction to hold the threaded end still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts