SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any idea what is going on here ?

I have a '93 Aero (had it five weeks now) and sometimes I get the oddest sound when I start the car up. I turn the ignition on and I can hear a ticking sound that is coming from inside the dash somewhere - its quite loud and sounds like there is an old wind up clock inside ticking away ! Once you start driving, it stops after a few miles.

The dealer has no idea what this is and of course when I have taken it to the dealer it never happens - has anyone here got any ideas ???!

thanks

goalc

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It probably the sound of the motor that control the internal baffles for air duct. For some reason, ACC keeps fiddling with this for a while. Try turning ACC off and the sound should go away if this is indeed the problem. As finklejag said, this is normal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree that it is norma. In fact, my car actually starts making noise on some days the moment that I open the door to the car in the morning before the key is even in the ignition. When I open the door it sounds like the little motors are getting things into position as compared to where they were when I last shut the car off (and when the system was up to temp.)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ticking Sound

93_newbie said:
I agree that it is norma. In fact, my car actually starts making noise on some days the moment that I open the door to the car in the morning before the key is even in the ignition. When I open the door it sounds like the little motors are getting things into position as compared to where they were when I last shut the car off (and when the system was up to temp.)
I get this ticking sound too and at first got concerned. But it goes away after a few minutes (usually about 3-5 min at max). It sounds like something turning something (a clock like thingy) so I figured something was adjusting itself.

If it is the Automatic Climate Control (ACC) system -- which I always have on -- I'll turn that off and see if it goes away.

Great feedback guys!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have both the motors sound (that appears related to the HVAC) and the time-bomb ticking. It drives me nuts, but not enough to mention it to my service department -- I'm sure they'll think I'm crazy (or crazier than they already do).

·
Registered
244 Posts
goalc said:
The dealer has no idea what this is and of course when I have taken it to the dealer it never happens - has anyone here got any ideas ???!

thanks

goalc
It never happens when it's warm. The car has to completely cool down in cold weather for the thermostat to reset then your dealer will hear it when they start your car. It's just the climate control doing it's thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info / reassurance guys - guess its just one of the Saab quirks that I'll add to the list :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone noticed this happens when you push the recirculate button? I was getting it after each windshield washer cleaning. I had asked the service guys to set up the vent to close during cleanings in order to keep the washer fluid smell out.

I just noticed it now when it's warm that it clicks and I couldn't figure it out either. I noticed it when the recirculate light or whatever you call it with the "car and the circular arrow inside" icon comes up. I pressed it to toggle it on and off and noticed it makes the sound everytime the icon is lit.

I figure it's a damper motor stuck or something. I will be taking it in for repairs.

The other clicking sound (a lot softer and short duration) happens when you open the door the first time at cold starts. It's probably the fuel or oil pump charging up. I will ask the service guy about this one too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I too get the ticking and the motors sounds. The ticking sounds for all the world like a "traditional" clock on the dash with hands and all.

Even stranger..... If I am sat indicating at a junction, the indicator tick tock tick tock sound can become irregular. It is very slight but it is almost as though it misses a beat. The lights on the dash do the same. It doesn't seem to be a problem, just strange. Am I alone - am I going mad?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just purchased an 03 Linear and immediately noticed the "ticking" noise. It was making me mental. I took it into the dealer and at first they tried to pass it off as the CD player until I told them that I heard it when I was test driving the car. After the tech looked at it, they found that one of the motors was bad and replaced it.

It still does it, but not as much now. I was going to take it back in, until I saw this thread. So I guess that I will "live" with it.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts