SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9-3 02 190K 900SE 98 90K
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rolled in a new timing chain and redid the exhaust manifold after a small leak and the original symptoms: A poor cold idle and a ticking (click) noise persists.

It dawned on me that the poor idle and two other year-old issues (mildly squishy brakes even after a disk/pad and vacuum tube replacement, rough idle after use of the turbocharger) could be caused by a vacuum issue and I stuck a screwdriver against the vacuum pump (the metal bit that protrudes out of the right side of the valve cover) and it appears the ticking noise is quite loud right there.

I am asking for a quick opinion on this because a search in this forum does not show anybody else correlating a bad vacuum pump with a clicky-metal ticking noise which correlates with engine rpms and does not go away regardless of temperature/rpms.

My next guess would be cylinder 4 topend but I already flushed the oil and did the filter twice early on when attempting to remove the clicking noise when it first began (quietly, slowly got louder)

·
Registered
9-3 02 190K 900SE 98 90K
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am going to pull a vacuum pump from a 2000 9-5 from the picknpull down the road real quick. $25 and a fairly good return policy so eh, I'll give it a shot.
The swap looks easy in WIS

·
Registered
20 Posts
To find the origin of a noise I bought a cheap stethoscope, removed the end that gets put on the skin and added a longer tube. You tape it to a bendy bit of wire and then can poke it deep into the engine bay and safely search for a noise source. Mind you don't catch your sleeve on a rotating part [e.g. pulley or belt].

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope from Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. Quite useful to have around.

Replacing the pump is very easy - three bolts that are easily accessible. There are three seals on the pump - two inside and one outside - that probably wanna be replaced as they may not seal a second time, but for a quick test you certainly don't need them. Total cost on new seals is also just a couple bucks.

·
Registered
9-3 02 190K 900SE 98 90K
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope from Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. Quite useful to have around.

Replacing the pump is very easy - three bolts that are easily accessible. There are three seals on the pump - two inside and one outside - that probably wanna be replaced as they may not seal a second time, but for a quick test you certainly don't need them. Total cost on new seals is also just a couple bucks.
Replacing the pump fixed the ticking noise, my boost also appears to be running normal again, the old pump was pumping oil into the brake booster line.

Now I just get to triple-check all the seals I touched (water pump, radiator, timing cover, thermostat, vacuum pump, exhaust manifold, solenoid and connecting tubes) and put the bumper back on lol.

The pulled pump has a connection for the booster line than the old one, I had it pulled from a 2003 9-5 whereas I own a 2002 9-3. I tested it quickly by clogging the extra space between with thick brake grease. It might be missing this little rubber bit but I cannot transfer the old one since it is too brittle to remove.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Are you sure you aren't missing a piece? The pumps are the same AFAIK. Be careful with that grease. You do not want it sucked into something.

·
Registered
9-3 02 190K 900SE 98 90K
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you sure you aren't missing a piece? The pumps are the same AFAIK. Be careful with that grease. You do not want it sucked into something.
They are exactly the same it is just that the bushing is stuck in the old one and the pulled it is either completely off or half of it is in and the other half missing https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/28401/Bushing-Vacuum-Hose-55557389/

Anyways I was just about to report back that the ticking noise returned after testing a steady 4000rpm acceleration and I already pinned down a cylinder 4 exhaust side tappet as the source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts