SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
If the ticking is equally loud on both sides of the engine, and loudest on startup and fades over time, it might be lifters.

If it's really noticeable on the left side of the engine and doesn't go away over time, it might be a loose timing chain caused by either a stuck tensioner, or just a worn chain and guides.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Also check the exhaust manifold studs for tightness and the gasket for leaks - it sounds just the same as a noisey lifter on startup.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Most aftermarket oil filters do not have check-valves in them, which allows your motor to drain-down when not running. The first thing to drain-down? Lifters.

As far as I know, the purolator filters have the check-valves, and until I switched to a Mobil-1 filter (simply because it was what was available), I never got lifter tick. not in the SAAB, or Eclipse.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G96nt said:
Most aftermarket oil filters do not have check-valves in them, which allows your motor to drain-down when not running. The first thing to drain-down? Lifters.

As far as I know, the purolator filters have the check-valves, and until I switched to a Mobil-1 filter (simply because it was what was available), I never got lifter tick. not in the SAAB, or Eclipse.
yeah i've been thinking oil filter thise morning, i talked to jak stoll, and he seemed to agree that somethings up with the oiling, so i'm going to change the oil today, i believe i have a bosch filter on there, I actually usually use purolaters cuz there are made by wix's and the best cheap filter you can by, but i needed one quick and it was better than a pos fram

the noise does come and go, always random, sometimes on cold starts, sometimes hot starts, lately tho, its more often than not, but after any prolonged driving it will stop, anyways i got about 5 hours today before my next class so i'll get out there and fix that stupid genuine saab steering rack (the bottom nut thing they sent me was too long and won't tighten enough to actually make the clamp close all the way, so i got some washers to help), and while i'm at it i'm swithcing back to delo, and i'll put a new filter in. if not jak does have some lifters, and i guess i'll just have to invest, i dont wanna risk seizing a lifter here and ****ing up my head

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shirozina said:
Also check the exhaust manifold studs for tightness and the gasket for leaks - it sounds just the same as a noisey lifter on startup.
no the manifold does have a small tick to it, but its not the same as this one i broke acouple studs on the manifold in last years prescott rally when i hit a rock and ripped off my silencer back lol, but it only really does it on super cold starts(which i don't have alot of in phoenix), and once the motor gets warm you can hear it over the exhaust note, or the motor noise itself

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You don't have to change your oil.
Just change the Filter, and top 'er off.
(unless the oil is old, anyways?)

Just be quick in the swap, or you'll lose a lot of oil from the filter.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G96nt said:
You don't have to change your oil.
Just change the Filter, and top 'er off.
(unless the oil is old, anyways?)

Just be quick in the swap, or you'll lose a lot of oil from the filter.
i already got the oil and shes got like 500 or 600 left til she needs a change so i'd rather not put a filter on for just 500 miles, last oil change was early september

plus i prefer deisal oil in my car, its a nice high pressure oil, that has alot of really good detergants in it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts