SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 conv. has been making a ticking and chugging sound when first started. It does this til the temp gauge shows warm. then, everything is quiet and smooth. It does the same thing when first started even when it's warm, but not for very long. Is there anything it could possibly be other than lifters? Thanks

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
There is a rubber pad on the inside of the valve cover, the timing-chain slides across it. The pad becomes quite hard over time and will make alot of noise untill it gets oil from the chain and a lot quieter when softened by the heat of the engine. They are very inexpensive and very easy to change.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i'd say its probably in the cylidner head too, if you know how to take the cam cover off, then do so. inspect the lifters and timing chain for wear.

also check the timing tensioner is not fully extended. theres a link in the FAQ's on how to check this.

when was the last time it had an oil change?

·
Registered
230 Posts
exhaust manifold / exhaust connection

It sounds to me like you have a leaking connection... either head to exhaust manifold (are any of the studs to the exh manifold broken), but most likely, either at the turbo to elbow joint or at the elbow to downpipe joint.

Pop the hood, start her up from cold. Do you see any condensation coming out of any of these joints upon cold start? That's a great way to start.

I'm basing this off the fact that you say chugging combined with ticking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has 163000 miles. I replaced the timing chain and guides and don't seem to be loosing coolant. I removed the plugs and one of them was gas fouled. The car jerks when stepping on the accelerator and jerks when letting off the accelerator. It does have a slight variable idle, but I'm almost certain it's a vacumm leak(still trying to pinpoint it:) There may be an exhaust leak in the elbow near the turbo. I ran sea foam through the engine. When I started it back up it smoked a lot out the tail pipe as expected. But, smoke also came out of the elbow. That's the only time I've seen smoke from there. Other than these issues, the car runs great. I does have an irritating oil leak though which annoys me because I had the engine out and tried to tend to all that, damn it...

·
Registered
751 Posts
that elbow is hard to cure the leaks, also the flange the 90 pipe connects to on the turbo. i've just managed to strip a thread on one of my exhaust manifold bolts. where can you get oversized studs, or do i need to make one up?

if you revv the engine up and let it come back to idle quickly you'll see the leaks easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
confusion said:
The car has 163000 miles. I replaced the timing chain and guides and don't seem to be loosing coolant. I removed the plugs and one of them was gas fouled. The car jerks when stepping on the accelerator and jerks when letting off the accelerator. It does have a slight variable idle, but I'm almost certain it's a vacumm leak(still trying to pinpoint it:) There may be an exhaust leak in the elbow near the turbo. I ran sea foam through the engine. When I started it back up it smoked a lot out the tail pipe as expected. But, smoke also came out of the elbow. That's the only time I've seen smoke from there. Other than these issues, the car runs great.QUOTE]

I seem to be experiencing the same problems you've listed above... Did you address the leak at the elbow and down pipe yet?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided the problem was most likely an exhaust leak. I've since sold the car. I showed the new owner where I thought the leak was. As far as I know, it's still running great. Good luck with yours. Let me know if I can help with any specific issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks confusion. Car runs great, just once you start reading all these threads you become addicted to maintenance and sorting out problems, and even though this one seems to be not effecting performance I think I resolve it at some point. Man, you sold her, huh? Did you get a nice price? What are you driving around in now? Have another classic?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts