SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car a few weeks ago and it lost oil pressure after about 1500 miles and a tick started. I only drove the car for 4 min after tick started.

Can anyone inform me what this is in the first picture
or where to look for more damage from here

I found the copper ring underneath where it is held in the picture.

And is there supposed to be a bearing in the second picture

Please help this is my first time cracking into an engine other than valve job on my Bmw e30

Attachments

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
That is a copper o-ring, but I am not aware of any that large on our engines that don't have a rubber seal on them, it appears from the picture like it is almost 1" in diameter, the all the plain copper ones are smaller than that and shouldn't be anywhere near the head, I'm thinking it was dropped in there by accident.

11 ft lbs for the cam bolts, start where the lobes are pressing on the tappets and black ones nearest the spark plugs, they have oil ways in them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car dropped oil pressure and I stopped instantly. Filled it up and dropped 2 bottles in the next couple miles.

Then herd tick. It worsens within a min or so .. I had it towed home and sits till I can find the problem

I found the gasket looking thing on the driver side of the engine

Any ideas on where to go from here

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
If you lost 2 quarts of oil in a couple of miles, it should be obvious where the leak is coming from. That being said, the obvious places for a high volume oil loss that are sealed with a copper only washer would be: Drain plug, oil pressure switch, oil feed line for turbo, everything else is either sealed with o-rings or rubber sealed washers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i bought the pvc upgrade today

but the oil is coming from the top of the throttle body where the turbo piping connects
got new gaskets for it my car had none
still in shipping

also looks as if there is also oil coming from the timing chain side of the engine

also coming from the valve cover vent

im waiting on the full head gasket set but till then im searching for this tick before it becomes a real problem

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any ideas where to look in the top end

i took valve cover off and turned it over a few times and couldn't hear the tick any longer

do you think that with the 2 min with loss of pressure that it could be a rod bearing

where should i look in the top end for a tick besides the cam bearings

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
If you are saying you have loss of oil at a rate of 2 quarts every few miles coming out of the TB and the PCV bushing on the valve cover, then you have a serious problem, you should get oil vapor at those locations, but no real oil.

The leak on the timing cover is probably the oil pump o-ring or front main seal, both will make a mess since it gets on the crank pulley and is slung all over the place, it's also possible the timing chain tensioner seal is leaking too, none of those should cause any substantial loss.

Degrease the whole engine and then fill it back up with the correct amount of oil, run the engine and locate the leak.

The tick could just be lack of oil and/or pressure caused by the leak and the lifters not getting enough oil. Is the ticking like clock or more of a knock like someone knocking on the door?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also when i bought the car it was missing 2 vacuume lines from turbo to the thing on fire wall and there was a collapsed one

i replaced them and notised a huge gain in power but the oil leak got wayyy worse over the next 100 miles

was leaking only under load and directly onto the cat

he had tore off the control arm and was limping it around and after improvements on the engine im positive that the engine pressure went up as well

i got the car for $500 just trying to get it right

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gonna clean it up then fill it up and see where that takes me .. hopefully i will find a clear place where the oil is coming from

thank you for your help

·
Registered
894 Posts
oil in the turbo pipes? bad turbo or bad seals.

that washer looks like a turbo oil line washer.......it should not be under valve cover naturally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The turbo was replaced before I got it. Guy that sold it to me said there was still excess oil somewhere in the engine someplace it shouldn't be. No clue

And on the plastic pipe going to the throttle body is missing a hose right before the throttle body. No clue where it goes or I would replace it

Also no gaskets on pipe. I ordered new ones

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
If the PO changed the turbo due to bad seals, you certainly might have oil pooled up down in the intercooler. If they didn't drain the oil out, then the only place that the oil can go is up the charge pipe to the top of the throttle body and down into the intake system. The excess oil will cause some smoke, but it can also ruin the catalytic converter... Ron

·
Registered
398 Posts
If the turbo had blown, oil may have shot up the entire intake system. Take off the intake pipe to throttle body & check for oil. On the 905 I just bought with a blown turbo, oil blew by the intake pipe and covered the throttle body & upper half of the motor with oil.

You may need to clean everything, from the intercooler all the way up the intake to get rid of any oil in the system.

As far as the tick goes, I'm not very experienced with that. Low oil pressure/low oil could cause a drop in oil pressure, causing less oil to get to the lifters?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's my hopes.

The engine needs gaskets and the crank vent upgrade kit witch is on its way

I took the valve cover off and turned it over a few times but didn't hear the tick in engine.

No sludge. Good clean engine well maintained oil wise

Needs tons of hoses n gaskets

Im pulling off the oil pan tonight and checking for the rest of the bearing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's my hopes.

The engine needs gaskets and the crank vent upgrade kit witch is on its way

I took the valve cover off and turned it over a few times but didn't hear the tick in engine.

No sludge. Good clean engine well maintained oil wise

Needs tons of hoses n gaskets

Im pulling off the oil pan tonight and checking for the rest of the bearing.
Like others have said before, I think that copper o-ring was accidentally dropped in your motor. I can't recall anything internally in the motor that would look like that.

As far as needing hoses & gaskets, story of my life. With all 3 of the Saab's I've purchased in the last 3 year years, I always set aside money to replace all the coolant & vacuum hoses. Almost every car had original hoses ready to burst. After replacing almost all the coolant twice on my NG900, I went ahead and did every single hose just to be safe.

Good luck on your Saab!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts