SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a few days ago I started to hear a thumping noise from the rear of the car, perhaps in the trunk. It is only noticeable at 70 mph or higher. It sounds like I locked my kids in the trunk and they are banging to get out (which they weren't... I checked :D ). I checked to make sure the rear seats were properly latched, and they were. I had the tires rotated and balanced (it was time) and the problem still persists. Anyone have any ideas or experienced this? BTW, I have about 5500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is the spare secured tightly in the well? I think there were some folks that had a problem with rear suspension so if you can't find anything with the spare I'd take it to the dealer. Like you said at just over 5K miles . . .

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
yeah!...i got a huge thumping noise coming from the trunk area too...and i mean bad. it doesn't even matter how fast i'm going. many times i swear it thumps so loud that it vibrates EVERYTHING...interior panels, seat back, etc. oh wait...that's my subwoofer :cheesy:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnc_22 said:
Is the spare secured tightly in the well? I think there were some folks that had a problem with rear suspension so if you can't find anything with the spare I'd take it to the dealer. Like you said at just over 5K miles . . .
Thanks, I'll check the spare first before calling the dealer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I checked the spare it was a bit loose. I tightened the big plastic nut and still there is the thumping noise. I suspect it may be the cover/lid for the spare tire well. It seemed kinda loose. I will put something heavy on it and try it out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Have you had a look at the rear shelf? I dont know if you've noticed, but if you shut the boot (trunk) lid, the whole rear shelf cover lifts and then settles down again. Might be worth removing it (easily done a few clips and pull it free) running without it to see if the noise has gone. if it does, then the application of some padding between the rear deck and the shelf cover should take up the movement and kill the noise.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that you mentioned it, the noise did come after the wife slammed the trunk lid a few times :evil: :nono; Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, the parcel shelf wasn't loose. I even had the rear seat folded down so I can hear what's going on in the trunk. the noise is definitely coming from the outside of the car. After I got to work, I checked the back and the only possible "loose" part is the license plate and it was on tight. I am really puzzled. Any other suggestions is welcomed before I call the dealer (trying to avoid a 45 mile drive :D ).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solved the problem! During lunch time I crawled under the car and found the lower bumper aprin to be loose. I didn't see both sets of screws there so I have to do some work when I get home. :cool:

·
Banned
975 Posts
1BadPig said:
Solved the problem! During lunch time I crawled under the car and found the lower bumper aprin to be loose. I didn't see both sets of screws there so I have to do some work when I get home. :cool:
Did one of your kids eat them or something? Lol is it just me or does anyone else think its weird that screws fell out of a new saab.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
soggy said:
Did one of your kids eat them or something? Lol is it just me or does anyone else think its weird that screws fell out of a new saab.....
It was the nuts that fell out... I'm replacing them with good stainless steel ones and lock washers!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know what the thread size is? I called the dealer and they said use a clip... ???

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cojoroh said:
yeah!...i got a huge thumping noise coming from the trunk area too...and i mean bad. it doesn't even matter how fast i'm going. many times i swear it thumps so loud that it vibrates EVERYTHING...interior panels, seat back, etc. oh wait...that's my subwoofer :cheesy:
Ditto! :cheesy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts