SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 9-3SS Aero w/Auto tranny.

I've noticed when cruising on the interstate that when in D ("drive") the throttle response is mushy and sluggish. If I flip over into 'M5' things are much better and once again makes it feel like the pedal is somehow connected to the throttle. I know I can downshift to M4, but in M5 there is normally enough get up and go that I don't need to. I prefer to cruise on the interstate in 'D' though, and I assume that I'd see better MPG.

Any ideas what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
102 Posts
johnc_22 said:
Any ideas what I'm talking about?
Yeah, I think I read in the manual, or maybe it was the brochure, that throttle response is supposed to be better in manual mode. I haven't really experienced it myself though. I prefer to have the auto downshift one or two steps when accelerating.

I will make some more thorough tests when going to work tomorrow, to see if I agree with you. :cool:

Update: now that I think about it, I find M2 and M3 considerably punchier than their auto conterparts. I will test M4 and M5 tomorrow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the manual mode has better throttle response than auto. The pick-up feels much better. With the PPC added, I just love the acceleration once the turbo kicks in.

I also noticed that the car accelerates from a dead stop faster in manual than auto.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
I think it may have to do with the auto tranny convertor locking up or something like that. When you have it in drive, the car locks 3,4, and 5 after certain rpms to keep the mpg up. When you move it to manual, the convertor unlocks and the rpms climb a bit, creating more exhaust, which makes more boost, etc...

Or maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm anxiously awaiting my Stage 1 PPC - ordered 1 week ago so shouldn't be too long now. Can't wait to see what the car's like with some real grunt. Of course I haven't even received it yet but I already feel the slippery slope tilting towards a sport filter or CAI, cat-back exhaust, etc.

I posted this without (duh) realizing I should RTFM. :nono;

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answering my own question . . . the manual states:

When the selector lever is in the M position, as opposed to the D position, the engine is much more responsive to changes in accelerator position. The accelerator has a different feel.
Cool.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mhult said:
I will make some more thorough tests when going to work tomorrow, to see if I agree with you. :cool:
Now I have tested M4 and M5 a lot more, and can only agree with you. The engine is much more responsive and feels more connected to the accelerator than auto mode. It's more obvious in M2 and M3, though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Diggs said:
I think it may have to do with the auto tranny convertor locking up or something like that. When you have it in drive, the car locks 3,4, and 5 after certain rpms to keep the mpg up. When you move it to manual, the convertor unlocks and the rpms climb a bit, creating more exhaust, which makes more boost, etc...

Or maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about.
Hmm, I would think it would lock up as much as possible, to simulate a convertorless manual transmissioned car. I'd be curious to see who knows for sure.
~D.J.~

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Maybe it's the opposite? Trannies never were my forte.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ohio9-3SSBoy said:
Hmm, I would think it would lock up as much as possible, to simulate a convertorless manual transmissioned car. I'd be curious to see who knows for sure.
~D.J.~
Yeah, that's exactly what it does. When letting off the gas at 2000 rpms on M3 it actually gets a bit jerky. When the rpm goes down it stays locked-up until it downshifts to M2.

·
Registered
111 Posts
mhult said:
Yeah, that's exactly what it does. When letting off the gas at 2000 rpms on M3 it actually gets a bit jerky. When the rpm goes down it stays locked-up until it downshifts to M2.
This sounds to me like it might be the most hospitable automatic transmission I have heard of. As long as I have 2 working legs, I will have a clutch pedal under my left foot, though. I might have to sample my friend's 9-3 with sentronic and see just how good this is.
~D.J.~

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ohio9-3SSBoy said:
I might have to sample my friend's 9-3 with sentronic and see just how good this is.
Hasn't he offered several times just to get you to the east coast? There definitely is more pep in sentronic mode than full auto mode. Same with our Subaru Baja-T.

·
Registered
111 Posts
weiVA said:
Hasn't he offered several times just to get you to the east coast? There definitely is more pep in sentronic mode than full auto mode. Same with our Subaru Baja-T.
Well, "friend", I defintely have been trying to see if I would be able to this summer.
~D.J.~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts