SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!! I'm trying to replace the throttle position sensor on my 93 9k aero after my check engine light came on indicating that it was out. Well I have a new sensor in hand but can not for the life of me find where the sensor belongs. Can anyone help me locate this sensor? Thanks

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I seem to recall manual tranny cars have a different electronic throttle body (ETB) which allows the replacement of the ETS, whereas automatic cars don't, regardless of whether the car has TCS.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Are you asking abouth the throttle pedal potentiometer, iso it lives down w/ the bottom of the pedal, never taken mine out though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok let me give you the background to my entire little adventure I have been going on. So bout 2 months my 9k doesnt want to start. I have replaced the crank p sensor, DI cass., fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, spark plugs, o2 sensors and still no start. All this and no check engine light the entire time while im replacing these parts. Then finally last week i went to try and start it again and it does its usually turns over, idles rough, then kills itself. But this time I got a check engine light and code. So i checked out the code and it came up with the throttle position sensor. so i go order the sensor from my parts guy with no trouble at all and the sensor came in yesterday. But now that i go to change the sensor i can not locate it at all under the hood.

·
Registered
281 Posts
did you order a small Bosch TPS pn -001??? three pin connector, two metal eyes on the sides??

you will not find that on '93 Aero with TCS.......

if you did not order that then disregard my ramblings........:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup yup thats the exact part i ordered and yup my 9k aero has tcs. so much for that idea. any ideas what i should try next. and ideas why would my check engine light flash code the tp sensor if it doesnt have one?

·
Registered
630 Posts
5-speed manual 9000's with TCS just have the ETS control module (TCS brain).

Automatic 9000's with TCS have the ETS control module (TCS brain) and an additional ASR control module for the auto transmission.

The throttle plate on both manual and automatics with TCS are electronically controlled. There will not be a small TPS sensor on the side of the throttle body - that is only found on Non-TCS 9000's with the standard throttle body.

On either M or A with TCS there is a throttle position potentiometer that is located on the top right side of the pedal cluster (clutch/brake/accelerator) bracket. It will be at the top of the accelerator pedal lever rod.

Caution - if you order a potentiometer be sure to get the right one as there are two different ones. The SAAB part number for the Manual with ETS(TCS) 40 15 194 and Auto with ETS(TCS) 41 61 238.

To really diagnose if this is the real problem you will need to get the car to a dealer or indy with an ISAT or Tech II to pull any error codes from the ETS(TCS) system.

The TCS system is one that you just cannot throw new parts into it and expect it to clear itself out. It can be a royal PIA

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Good points, the TCs system itself is not too bad, its just most Saab dealers and independents have never had the skills to fix it.

So far you have thrown parts at it, we have all done this before, and it is costly, somewhat ok w/ an old car that is loved and intending to keep but a waste of money. If you really can not get it checked w/ ISAT, then if you change the throttle poten. first make absolutely sure you can do this w/o needing a recalibration to get it to run, unless you have access to skilled provider.

Sounds like a problem w/ the switch or throttle body might be the trouble, TB can be rebuilt, but get a proper diag. first if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
For example, I go way out of my way once every 4 or 5 years to go west of London to slough where there is a real skilled Saab Indy that can really sort/calibrate TCS, and it is worth it, just need to keep reminding myself to not let most of the rest of his crew touch my car as they are NOT skilled, any Saabers this way can pm me for more details of my horror stories.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Make certain the dealer has ISAT and especially someone that knows how to use it and TCS; most will be happy to charge you but don't have a clue.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Make certain the dealer has ISAT and especially someone that knows how to use it and TCS; most will be happy to charge you but don't have a clue.
IIRC with a TCS car, after replacing the throttle body or the throttle position sensor, the mechanic has to re-calibrate everything. So make sure you go to a certified Saab master tech for all this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts