SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a bit of cleaning today. Did the AIC and the cold start injector. I was poking around as you do, and I was looking at the throttle damper. Decided to adjust it. Now, I did a search before hand to see what people have said. Most say it's not necessary and only an emissions control device to prevent the dumping of raw fuel etc etc. I adjusted it so that it damped for 2-3 seconds before idle. Went for a drive and decided that it was a great improvement in smoother driving. For one it allows for much smoother deceleration when you take your foot off the gas (especially good at higher revs). I also found it to be smoother up through gear changing as it kept the revs closer to the range where it needs to be. I found I could beat it a little with really fast changing so I adjusted it back a fraction until it was just sweet.
Whether or not it's intention was just for emissions or not, when properly adjusted it makes a profound difference to smooth operation of the car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
dashpot

Hi,
completely true. it is not only for emissions' purposes. the one on my car has given in and I have been having stalling problems after sudden release of accelerator at red lights, after cruising (hard) and putting it in neutral. sometimes it even dies. wish I had a replacement somewhere close. the local dealer is asking just too much for a brand new one (it's a three figure sum - euros).

best regards
dusan

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: dashpot

900 spg said:
Hi,
completely true. it is not only for emissions' purposes. the one on my car has given in and I have been having stalling problems after sudden release of accelerator at red lights, after cruising (hard) and putting it in neutral. sometimes it even dies. wish I had a replacement somewhere close. the local dealer is asking just too much for a brand new one (it's a three figure sum - euros).

best regards
dusan
I'll have a dig around. I'm sure there's one floating about. If I find one I'll send it to you, they're cheap here.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dusan
I would think its a generic part. ie I doesn't have to be from Saab, take a look at some volvos or Volkswagens of the same vintage (in a scrappy of course :cheesy: ).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Agree with whats been said - a new Dashpot really does make a huge change. It makes driving around town especially easer, cutting out any judder on gearchange.

Ben.

·
Registered
239 Posts
dahspot

Hi,
Thanks gerryp. I also suspect it is a generic type of part. Does anyone out there have any idea who the original producer/supplier might be and which other car models might have the same thing?

thanks a lot. best regards

dusan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts