SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just finished making my Phenolic TB spacer. Good news the car likes it no cel or anything like that so thats a plus :cheesy: . I will only b able to test it out like tomorrow morning or so though.... which kinda sux cuz thats my commute to work, so if something happpened i am all F'd up.

Bad news i cann not make everyone spacers like i wanted to. The reason for this is that cars have different throttle bodies, depending on year and whether or not it has TCS and/or t7....

what i can do is sell the pieces of plastic or sumthin for u guys 3.25" x 4.75" ... not really sure what to do.... i mean i wanna help as much as possible but i cant really do much :(

p.s. i will have more results when i get to work tomorrow

WOW!!!!! so i went downstairs to the garage just now to take measurements. My intake manifold is f'n hot like i burned the tips of my fingers on it... the throttle body is cold to the touch WOOOOHOOOO!!!! it works so far... no heatsoaking backwards down the intake track thats for sure.... sweet...!!!!

again i will see what happens when driving down the highway and such tomorrow ... wish me luck

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
please pm me for that info, as we can not use the forums for this info.. i dont wanna get banned...

also i was just thinking if someone had an extra t5 throttle body or a t7 throttle body lying around then i could actually make the spacers. if u were to send me a throttle body i would send u a free spacer already made since u were so kind as to give me something for a template.

general info copied from another site "G11 Phenolic, this spacer helps reduce incoming intake air temperatures. Limiting heat transfer and improving airflow to increase performance.
Cold air is more dense than hot air and takes up less space. So if your engine can ingest cooler air, more air can be mixed with more fuel, which gives more power. An additional benefit is that cooler air has a higher resistance to knock, allowing more ignition timing advance - or boost in turbocharged applications. Either way, they both equal more power!
This is the theory behind cold air intakes, ice on the manifold, and intercoolers.

When compared to the 0.025 inch paper gasket it replaces, a 3/8 inch thick phenolic insulator will conduct 200-1000 times less heat!
Another benefit is better fuel atomization and increased air velocity into your engine."

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just a quick question:

If the intake manifold is hot enough to burn your fingers when you touch it, is there any possibility of the plastic melting? Its probably a stupid question because youre probably using something with a higher melting point, but i just thought i would check.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the melting point of phenolic is something like 400* F i beleive. so i am pretty sure it wont have a problem.. eric has had one on his car for over a year now...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my car this morning ran beautifully i think i had 1-2 psi more of boost, that is all nothing really like i dunno...

the car is very consistent now, i think heatsoak is gone now... which is nice.. who knows... i think someone once posted that a spacer would decrease temps by like 30* or something i dont remember

·
Registered
276 Posts
ricot83 said:
i think someone once posted that a spacer would decrease temps by like 30* or something i dont remember
I've read that this 30*F drop is only obtained if the spacer is created for and used between the intake manifold and the head (i.e. to keep the intake manifold cool). My assumtion would be that the the TB only would be significantly less given the surface area of the intake manifold vs. the TB.

Here are some pic of spacers for the intake manifold for a 5.0L Ford V8:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tweek is giving me an intkae manifold from a t5 to make a template out of, once those are done i will let u guys know ... maybe sometime this month, i will also have a t5 TB from tweek as well to make a template with as well. they will most likely be made of glass resin phenolics....(the manifold spacers.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know eric documented a big change in temp i wish i knew what the exact number was... he only has the TB spacer installed

·
Registered
276 Posts
ricot83 said:
tweek is giving me an intkae manifold from a t5 to make a template out of, once those are done i will let u guys know ... maybe sometime this month, i will also have a t5 TB from tweek as well to make a template with as well. they will most likely be made of glass resin phenolics....(the manifold spacers.

I've got an extra T7 intake manifold sitting at home, where are you sourcing the "glass resin phenolics" from? What are you cutting it with? I may dabble in trying to make on of those for the manifold.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am using some of the machines i have a t work to cut and then others i have at home to drill and such...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gasket sealer picked up at an auto parts store.. then only thing left to do to my car is the center caps and that damned exhaust clamp ... i just dont have the time to go to napa, by the time i get out, napa is closed.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
jperk said:
I've read that this 30*F drop is only obtained if the spacer is created for and used between the intake manifold and the head (i.e. to keep the intake manifold cool). My assumtion would be that the the TB only would be significantly less given the surface area of the intake manifold vs. the TB.
A drop in intake air temperature of 30F would be huge. I wonder if the person who wrote that may have measured the surface temperature of the intake manifold, or the throttle body, and not the intake air.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im pretty sure it was intake air.... i also just read some guys with EVO's that tested intake manifod spacers, and measured 50*F difference :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts