SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 2001 9-3 which had a throttle body problem, intermittent jerking on acceleration, loss of power, stalling at idle etc. I replaced it with an old one from a 9-5 (that I knew wasn't perfect but it ran fine for a while)

I opened up the old one and the wires all had the insulation coming off. I fixed it by cutting the wires and sliding spaghetti and heat shrink over them.
The replacement started to go the same way so I swapped them and it worked again - to start with.

I did the same trick (re-insulating) to the one I had now taken out but when I reinstalled it, the engine started to hunt like crazy and became undriveable.
I took off the big air inlet and I expected to see the throttle plate (butterfly) opening and closing as the engine revved up and down, but it wasn't moving.

My question is, could this be a idle air control valve problem? Or could the throttle body be leaking air somewhere and where would that be?

Also does anyone know how to get the shaft out of the throttle body?

Regards

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you ran it with the air intake/charge pipe off, the ECU's information from the MAF and MAP upstream would not match what the TB was actually receiving.

You can observe throttle plate movement by removing the guard which covers the cable attachment end, and watch the metal lever, which is connected to the butterfly.

The base gasket (TB to inlet manifold) is fairly resilient, its the top one that gets crushed or distorted. Other than those, the only other source of leaks I can imagine is the various tubes/pipes connected to the TB. How about the NRVs from the evap. and PCV?

I had one which gave occasional hesitations at idle but seemed ok at speed. It threw a code (can't remember which one, it was in OpenSID) for the TB potentiometer mismatch. Apparently the values for the potentiometer driven directly by the throttle cable plus the one moved of the actual butterfly (i.e. the resultant command from the ECU) must always add up to zero.

If they don't, I've no idea what the repair is, but its probably not economically viable given the abundance of spare TBs around (although I acknowledge you're in Aus where the supply may be scarce).

Bad luck on the insulation deterioration. Every one I get hold of, I inspect the electrical compartment and have never seen any damage at all. Maybe its a hot climate thing?

Doug

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug, I think it might be a heat thing with both of them having that same problem. They are pretty hard to find in good condition here. I may just buy a new one but I thought I should try to see if there are any other things that could be contributing before I spend that much.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts