SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I notice a worn valve and low and behold it was broken. Without the valve the car would sputter and idle rough. Looks like it's a one way valve. The rubber hose comes out from the throttle body meets the valve and then runs to a hard plastic hose down towards the engine. The valve was broken off at the engine side and looks like it's been subject to heat. There is oil residue and the existing end is corroded and looks burnt.

I put a simple plastic tube to join the hoses while i went to look for the valve. I would find oil in this white tube later when I removed it.

I took a similar valve off a 9000 CSE I found in a junkyard.

The valve ends were too big on the new one so I put some rubber hose one the new valve and the white plastic tube to fit the new valve onto. It's working now, but i'm not too sure which end faces what. The old valve had the "motor ->" marking pointing towards the throttle body. I put it back the same way and it's running fine.

Now my concern is if the wear on the old valve is normal. I checked the new tubing and there is oil in there already. The vacuum sucks into the throttle body. I hope i didn't put the valve on backwards, and maybe I need to do something to protect the valve from heat since it's right up on the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That valve is a common failure point on the '04 and later cars, unfortunately. I'm not sure if Saab sells the valve by itself though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not to bring back a dead thread but I am having the same problem as well.

I too put a straight piece of tube and eliminated the broken valve for now, is there an issue running it this way?

·
Registered
101 Posts
One Way Valve

Go up on this page to "Listings" and choose "Saab Parts Suppliers." On that page, enter US for your country and look for TheSaabsite. They are one place that has a lot of info on all parts of the Saabs. Lots of FAQs on the different models and most important, PART NUMBERS for what you need. This is one of the resources you'll use a lot on taking care of your car. [If you buy from them, mention that you found them on Saab Central... ] .

Oh, and yes, you need the one way valve. It is there for a reason - probably to keep fuel vapor from going back to another system and causing it to fail.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about?

This is an old thread but still very helpful. Pls help...? How about replacing with a one way valve for another car. Cant seem to find for a saab on the island. I have to order; mine is now running without it. Like its totally broken.

·
Registered
543 Posts
One-way vacuum valves are common to lots of cars. Take your original, broken valve in to an auto parts store and see what they have on hand. I found one in stock at my local auto parts store that was about $4, but its front port was larger than needed, and it had two ports off the back. My silicone vacuum hose stretched over the larger port just fine. I put a vacuum cap over the extra port, and the port straight out the back went to my vacuum line to the heater bypass valve solenoid. It looks like a kludge, but it works.

I figured I'd just buy the "right" valve off of eBay someday, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe someday....

Good luck,
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts