SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for about the past two weeks I have had trouble starting my car on the first try. I can put the key in and try to start and it may take 10 seconds before the car starts. What I have started to do is give it a short crank and then crank it again and it starts right up. My car has a new battery, fuel pump and filter and I just completed the 60K mile maintenance abour a month ago. The only thing I can think of is the injectors need cleaning or the throttle body. It runs perfectly fine after it starts up, but my fuel mileage sucks. I'm currently getting @ 18mpg in all city driving. Are there any special precautions I should look for when cleaning the throttle body and does an additive like the concentrated Techron really work on injectors?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nothing special about cleaning the throttle body, just make sure to use a throttle body cleaning spray as opposed to a carburetor cleaning spray.

You can push and open the butterfly valve without the engine running to clean inside.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My guess is: Since you just had the 60k mile service, it entails changing the spark plugs. If you're having starting issues the tech. most likely incorretly gapped the spark plugs, I would check there first.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plugs were double-checked and they were the factory plugs as I purchased them from the parts department and he told me they come gapped. I had him check them in front of me and they were correct. The strange part is it cranks up in the morning and there is a shutter for a couple of seconds and it idles smoothly. If I turn the car off and come back to it in say 30 minutes it will also crank fairly easily. If I let it sit for a few hours I then have the problem starting again. This did happen before the maintenance a couple of times, but I thought it was due to the new fuel pump and having enough gas run through it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sounds like a fuel leak allowing air into the fuel system when left for a period of time or a malfunctioning fuel return valve that is allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank.

Either is possible following recent work on the fuel system/pump.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was indeed the throttle body. My car has just over 61000 miles on it just in case any of you want to take a look at yours. There was a nice amount of deposit in there and I clean it out until my rags came out squeaky clean. I fired it up yesterday afternoon and then went back out last night and everything was beautiful. This morning it fired up also without a stumble. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
do you have a video on youtube??

I just watched a video on youtube of a 95 aero wagon having the EXACT same problem but i just checked again and the person just deleted the video :eek:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
patcom said:
did your gas milage increased after cleaning out the throttle body?
I can't really tell you. I haven't driven the car since I did the cleaning. I'll let you know probably this weekend. I decided to drop the car off for a custom exhaust.

·
Registered
299 Posts
how did you do that?
easy to do?
where is that throttle body?
how does it come apart?

i would be very much obliged and would like to give it a try myself...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
bump.. curious if this fixed your issue OR if its just because we are starting to finally get freezing weather in the Southeast now? My car has 3 times maybe not started on the first crank, only on mornings when its less than 34 though.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked the car up yesterday and drove to a couple of places that are out of the way. Throttle response is much better and the car did start on the first try, but it did take a little longer than expected. For fuel mileage I reset the SID, but on a full highway trip of about 50 miles I was only able to get @ 24.6mpg, this is nowhere close to what I used to get of around 28mpg. I'm at work now, but I have to leave out shortly and I will see if the car starts on the first try again. I did some more reading on possible reasons for hard starts and looks like I may need a new fuel pressure regulator which is like 30 bucks and appears to be fairly easy to install.

On a side note, I test drove an 03 9-5 Aero yesterday and I think I'm going to fix all the problems with my car and sell it and buy a 9-5. The sound of that engine was beautiful, it sounds like a large V-6 is under the hood. What really sucks is I just put a new muffler on and bought parts for a brake swap on my car. :evil: I can never make up my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts