SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my throttle body past few weeks. My 2003 9-5 3.0t keeps going on LHM and CEL, about once a day. And kept on getting worse until it went on LHM after about 5 minutes. Before I spend $500 on a new TB, I decieded to take the old one apart. Once I took off the black plastic cover I found that most of the wires from the connectors were dry rotted and bare. So instead of replacing the wires I try the hot glue. I seperated the wires so they don't touch eachother and barried the wires with it. It's been about 1000 miles and the problem didn't come back yet. I guess the problem is gone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How far from the throttlebody does the exposed wiring start? If I were you I might consider removing the throttlebody and rebuilding the harness by hand along with perhaps individually covering each wire with shrink wrap?

That covered with a good electrical tape and perhaps a short bit of that split loom cover should take care of ya.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Dry rott on a 2003??? That's a bit scary.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had identical problem with LHM and CEL every few days.
I removed the metal plate that covers the solenoid(?) on the throttle body
and haven't TB malfunction for about a month now.

I think I'm gonna try your method.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe I wasn't very clear it's the wires inside the Throttle Body. First take off the TB off, take off the black plastic cover off the TB, unscrew the solenoid, when you take the solenoid off you will see the electric wires comming from the connector. I wish I took the pictures. I'll be taking TB off the car soon to see how the hot glue is holding up, make sure it's not melting. I'll take pictures then. I'm sure it's not a solution to all TB problems, but it seems to be working for me. I hope this saves someone $500.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hmmm this is intersting. I am working on a way to disassemble the TB's and remove the throttle cable side spring mechanism.

IT is a pressed in piece and a bear to get off. Now I am going to have to try and see if your method works on my spare TB throwing 1231,1251 and 1260's.

I should have some pics of the wiring to post up soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's been 5 months and about 20,000 miles since my trottle body fix. Since then no problems with TB. I took the TB off the car to show my fix but couldn't take off the connector to show the wires. The hot glue has melted a little and glued the connector to the TB. I couldn't focus on the last picture.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Hey is that Ed Sheets old Scirroco as ur avatar?
PaulGinAZ said:
How far from the throttlebody does the exposed wiring start? If I were you I might consider removing the throttlebody and rebuilding the harness by hand along with perhaps individually covering each wire with shrink wrap?

That covered with a good electrical tape and perhaps a short bit of that split loom cover should take care of ya.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts