SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My throttle body is throwing codes saying it is in limp home. When I check it, it is not in limp home, and only throws the code. I forget off the top of my head the number, but it says something about the motor in it. Do I need a new throttle body?

I know everyone says to get the SEM DIC by reading the threads on here. Has anyone tried the NGK one from RockAuto, and if so, is it decent?

Lastly, is there a list of permissible values on here for when reading values on the Tech2 ?

thanks in advance,
Cap’n

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
From what I understand as a foreigner, NGK took over SEM in the states so an NGK DIC should be equivalent.

TB - physically resetting the spring/cam thing on the TB and clearing the code are two separate tasks. If the code has been triggered, resetting the spring doesn't clear the code.

A TB from the scrap yard will likely be cheaper than having yours repaired. I've salvaged more than a dozen for clean-up and onward sale with no complaints so the chances are good, I would suggest. Two types - get the correct one. You don't state the car's age or even what kind of engine it is. Part numbers end with '186 or '191 for the 4 cylinder, and the V6 TB is not interchangeable with the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand as a foreigner, NGK took over SEM in the states so an NGK DIC should be equivalent.

TB - physically resetting the spring/cam thing on the TB and clearing the code are two separate tasks. If the code has been triggered, resetting the spring doesn't clear the code.

A TB from the scrap yard will likely be cheaper than having yours repaired. I've salvaged more than a dozen for clean-up and onward sale with no complaints so the chances are good, I would suggest. Two types - get the correct one. You don't state the car's age or even what kind of engine it is. Part numbers end with '186 or '191 for the 4 cylinder, and the V6 TB is not interchangeable with the 4 cyl.
Oh sorry Doug, it’s a 1999 95 with the 2.3. It seems odd that it’s throwing the code without the spring actually going into limp home. I have a TB from my 93 that will work (at least hopefully it will when I reassemble it lol)

That is good to hear about the DIC. Rock sells the NGK DIC for about $180 which is a pretty good price.

Thanks Doug your response is appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I can confirm that the NGK DIC from RockAuto is a genuine SEM DIC.
SEM doesn't sell aftermarket parts, they are strictly an OEM company selling parts direct to manufacturers and/or manufacturer suppliers. So they are limited as to where they can sell their products.
NGK bought the Wells division of Airtex/Wells (which used to supply the SEM DIC units for the aftermarket) a while ago and has since taken over re-selling the SEM DIC's for the aftermarket segment. So, they are official SEM DIC units, just supplied by NGK with an NGK sticker and box along side the SEM branding placard.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can confirm that the NGK DIC from RockAuto is a genuine SEM DIC.
SEM doesn't sell aftermarket parts, they are strictly an OEM company selling parts direct to manufacturers and/or manufacturer suppliers. So they are limited as to where they can sell their products.
NGK bought the Wells division of Airtex/Wells (which used to supply the SEM DIC units for the aftermarket) a while ago and has since taken over re-selling the SEM DIC's for the aftermarket segment. So, they are official SEM DIC units, just supplied by NGK with an NGK sticker and box along side the SEM branding placard.

AWESOME!! Thanks for the info Nocturne :) I will buy one and keep the one that is in the car now as a spare. The one in the car now is the spare I keep around, and had to replace it on the way to work a few days ago. At least they are easy to replace ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts