SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car went into limp mode with code p1230 - I looked under the hood and found that the check valve on the throttle body hose is broken off the sealed hose end.

A few questions for you all:

1 - Would this broken hose be the cause of my p1230/LHM
2 - Is there any way to fix it (maybe I can JBWeld it?) without buying the whole hose/valve assembly and getting under the car to disconnect the other end

None of my local dealers/parts shops had it (backordered 300 units!), luckily SaabUSAParts.com seems to have it in stock

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure about the code, but my car did go into LHM when mine broke off - not sure how long it was broken. As a temporary fix, I did buy a few parts and made it work. Search the site as you'll be able to find more info on the parts.

BTW, I did eventually switch it out for an OEM. However, the modified part worked for me for about 2 to 3 months - no signs of deteriorating either.

·
Registered
867 Posts
as long as you dont plug it up it would be ok for awhile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news:

I JBWelded the broken end back into the hose, reset the LHM, and cleared the CEL, and its running normally again. Hopefully this solution will last a while, because...

Bad News:

Got an email from SaabUsaParts, saying they don't have the part either, due to the backorder status from Saab. So I'll be waiting for the OEM part for a while.

Worst case scenario I guess I'll have to find a similar check valve at a parts store and jury-rig it if my JBWeld doesn't hold. Autozone only had a little tiny check valve - anyone know a parts store that would sell a comparable check valve to this one?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Good news:

I JBWelded the broken end back into the hose, reset the LHM, and cleared the CEL, and its running normally again. Hopefully this solution will last a while, because...

Bad News:

Got an email from SaabUsaParts, saying they don't have the part either, due to the backorder status from Saab. So I'll be waiting for the OEM part for a while.

Worst case scenario I guess I'll have to find a similar check valve at a parts store and jury-rig it if my JBWeld doesn't hold. Autozone only had a little tiny check valve - anyone know a parts store that would sell a comparable check valve to this one?
Well after reading your post I went out and broke mine! I was switching my TB and argh! at least I had another one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So.. p1230 popped again this morning, even after cleaning the TB, fixing the PCV, and replacing the air filter... Looks like I have to bite the bullet and replace the TB.

I was able to find plenty of TBs for 99-03's but for 04-09 models, there are 0 stock in the entire US. With Saab bankrupt, that means we won't see this part anytime soon.

I had to order my part from a european saab parts store.

So all you 04-09 9-5 owners take note, if your TB goes out, it's getting harder and harder to get a replacement.

·
Registered
869 Posts
According to the Equus site, code P1230 for Saab is: Throttle Position Sensor 1 and 2 Circuit Sum Out of Range. Looks like you may have a TPS issue. See if it's plugged in all the way and maybe clean the connections with a can of electronics cleaner (available at any parts store) and check all of the wires to make sure none are frayed or broken, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the TPS is part of the entire throttle body assembly? It's the electronics in the black box on the TB?

If there is no visible issues with the wiring in there, then I'd need to replace the whole assembly, yes?

If the TB is replaced, does the TB/TPS need to be programmed to the car?

·
Registered
869 Posts
According to the write-up on TheSaabSite yes, a new throttle body does need to be paired up to the ECM by a dealer....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like there are conflicting opinions on reprogramming the new TB - according to this thread on this site, you can just reset the system by disconnecting the battery:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215883

Looks like the reprogram is primarily designed to loosen the resistance checks so the CEL/LHM doesn't fire so easily.

I guess I'll install the new one and if there are any issues then I could have the new programming done.

I also confirmed that the TPS is indeed a part of the TB assembly. So barring an actual short/bad electrical connection that can be repaired easily, a bad TPS means a new TB assembly is required.

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket TB/TPS? I was looking at the edelbrock aftermarket TB and TPS, wonder if it would work with the Saab, any issues with it communicating with the ECM, etc. Would be nice if in the future I need a new TPS I could replace just that instead of the entire assembly.

·
Registered
869 Posts
OK, this is straight from the WIS....

P1230
Throttle Position Sensor 1 and 2 Circuit. Sum Out of Range.
(Faulty signal from throttle disc position sensor)

Fault symptom

• CHECK ENGINE.
• Idling speed incorrect.
• Starting problems, especially when engine is cold
• Cruise control not working.

Note
Diagnosis has been improved in more recent software
which means it is no longer necessary to change the
throttle body. The software providing enhanced diagnosis
is available for all model years and engine variants.
The throttle body must be reset mechanically following
SPS programming (Service Programming System). If this
is not done, other DTCs will be generated after several
running cycles.

MY02 and later vehicles have this software. Perform
regular fault diagnosis.

On-Board Diagnostics

Type of diagnosis:
- Continuous. But interrupted when fault criteria fulfilled and will not restart until next
driving cycle.
Enable criteria:
- Ignition in ON position.
Fault criteria:
- The sum of voltages from throttle position sensors1 and 2 exceeds 5.70 V for more
than 0.8 s or is less than 4.59 V for more than 0.3s.
Dependents:
- None.
System reaction to a fault:
- Throttle control goes into limp-home mode. The limp-home solenoid will be activated
5 times in succession each time the ignition is turned on until the fault has been
rectified and the trouble codes cleared.
OK report:
- Accelerator pedal has been depressed at some time and then fully released. 120 s
has expired since then without fault criteria beingfulfilled.
Fault handling:(See “Fault diagnosis, general” for more information.)
- CHECK ENGINE goes on immediately and can be turnedoff only by clearing the
trouble codes.
Diagnostic help
Fault diagnosis relates to incorrect signals from the throttle disc position sensor and its wiring.
Functions in the diagnostic tool related to the fault:
• Throttle Position Sensor 1, unit V.
• Throttle Position Sensor 2, unit V.
See also description of read value under "Read Values" menu for more information.
Checking the wiring
Jiggle the wiring harness at several points and in different directions to detect intermittent
breaks and short circuits. Check switches, connectors and crimp connections for oxidation,
withdrawn pins and pin clamping force.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So is this saying that the software update would potentially fix my p1230 code without the need of replacing the TB assembly?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Possibly....... but it also says that 2002 and later years have this software, so perhaps it's just better at diagnosing the issue. You may still have a bad sensor and figuring that out is quicker/easier with the software that is mentioned. That's my take on it.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts