SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saabers,

I'm looking at a 2001 Red 9-3 Vert with 49K miles. Is an SE model with CD changer, power seats, climate control, 5 speed. Drives and looks very nice.

Asking $18,995--about $1,000 below dealer retail so I assume they would go lower. This is also a "Saab Certified" vehicle so warranty is good until 100K miles or Aug 2007. I was thinking of shooting them a $17,000 offer and see what they do. What do you think? Still too much? I need to get more details on the warranty to see exactly how comprehensive it is. Warranty is important to me as I have neither the time nor inclination for DIY projects.

Car is a one owner local trade-in (for an 05 Vert) and dealer is willing to put me in touch with former owner. Dealer has all the service records which include new front brake pads/rotors and new tires upon trade. Here is a synopsis:

Power top repair (twice)
Power seat switch problem numerous times (replaced entire seat Jan 04)
Power window went out/repaired
Several bulbs were replaced in the cabin
Stereo head unit and SID replaced (within 30 days of purchase at 826 miles)
Routine servicing was all done at dealer including the 30K.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I don't know about the price, but the electrical problems maybe aren't too serious. Particularly if they have now settled down. Are any of these repairs recent, or were they just happening during the shake down phase?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
TWICE system box and the tonneau motors are the weak points (note they've been repaired twice already) but the car's still under warranty...

The funky electrical issues are a bit worrisome. I bet this car was left in the rain with the top down.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only elec repair in the last year was the power top--Feb 05. Dealer can get more details but Service Dept is closed until Mon.

Most repairs listed were in 03. Sales manager claims he has driven the car as demo for the last 3-4 weeks with no issues. Than again, who do you trust if you know what I mean? Talking with the former owner may be helpful if he is willing to disclose any wierd issues. But, if he told the dealer "my car is perfect" at trade-in he is unlikely to say "oh God, run away" to a perspective buyer. Used car=risk. But, lower cost too. And, car may be in superb working order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Mike. Here in Colorado, a mountain rain shower can develop and dump in minutes. Will check dates of some of these issues to see if there is any pattern. May need to pass on this one.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Wow, that would be bad if this car was left like that. If that is found not to be the case I would go for it. The point about used car=risk is diminished greatly with the Saab Certification. I definatly wouldn't buy this car without it, rain damage or not.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
mike saunders said:
TWICE system box and the tonneau motors are the weak points (note they've been repaired twice already) but the car's still under warranty...

The funky electrical issues are a bit worrisome. I bet this car was left in the rain with the top down.....
I'll bet this happens with a great many convertibles - some are even designed for these events.

Maybe, just maybe,after hundreds and thousands of years , man has learned that Honesty is the Best Policy ; that absolute honesty is the most effective way of selling things.......

Be prepared to accept the convertible as troublesome, as a rattletrap - probable all of them are - to a lesser or greater extent..

There was a time, back in a simpler age, the 60s (a better time, IMO,), that Saab refused to make an open car - citing roll-over safety and less structural strength..

I doubt if the former is a problem any more, the latter should be no big deal for those of tolerance..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts