SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so times like these there is nothing better to do than shop online for SAAB performance parts 😁.
my search has taken me to Alibaba where they are selling a 304 S.S. 3 inch down pipe for $140 USD!
I am curious to know if anyone has purchased this before and knows if the quality of the welds, fitment and stainless steel are any good?

Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
In your link it said it is “Taliaferro” so I believe they are the manufacture of GenuineSaab.

Visually they are the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had one from them. They are perfectly made. No modification is needed to fit it. It bolts right on to the stock catback, or aftermarket catback that made to fit with the original downpipe (e.g. Maptun, BSR, Ferrita).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know guys, this will be a far better option for me as i am in New Zealand so shipping will be way less. it looks like a good buy.. ill give it a go.

Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought one and it doesn’t fit at all! Seems like half of it is in the wrong place haha

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
Chinese ratings of stainless appear to be different than ours. Their ”stainless” is the only one I’ve seen that rusts... lol. Plus, in most cases, you will find their material thickness inferior too. Not for me, but to each their own.

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
Chinese ratings of stainless appear to be different than ours. Their ”stainless” is the only one I’ve seen that rusts... lol. Plus, in most cases, you will find their material thickness inferior too. Not for me, but to each their own.
Actually, all stainless (steel) eventually rusts. I had some long discussions with my favorite mechanical engineer about this. Although T304 is fairly standard for exhaust systems, he said it was too low a grade for that. Keep in mind he designed military spec stuff so his standards are higher. Don't mistake heat-browning for rust.

That noted, I would not be at all surprised that Chinese stuff didn't actually meet the T304 spec, no matter what they said on the sales info - so it rusts sooner rather than later. Probably 409. If you check with a magnet and it's magnetic, it's probably 409 (avoid welds and heat bent areas).

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
Actually, all stainless (steel) eventually rusts. I had some long discussions with my favorite mechanical engineer about this. Although T304 is fairly standard for exhaust systems, he said it was too low a grade for that. Keep in mind he designed military spec stuff so his standards are higher. Don't mistake heat-browning for rust.

That noted, I would not be at all surprised that Chinese stuff didn't actually meet the T304 spec, no matter what they said on the sales info - so it rusts sooner rather than later. Probably 409. If you check with a magnet and it's magnetic, it's probably 409 (avoid welds and heat bent areas).
Sure, but for all practical intents, 304 in a car application is typically perfect. I work with 316L stainless steel frequently in the boiler business...you know it’s had a hard life when you see rust on that! :oops:

I agree with you on the specs of Chinese stuff, it’s never really 304. My son had a cheap Chinese catback on his Eclipse, and we compared it to the US-sourced and made AWE Tuning system on my Camaro. It was staggering the difference in build quality and material thickness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what is the deal here? Is it just a random Chinese part, or was it actually made by Taliaferro? Did you ever order it?
I ordered it and came a few weeks later.. I installed it a couple of weeks ago, all is well so far. I just had to trim 5mm off an unused gearbox mount at the second bend as the pipe goes under the car. (it was super close). Cant imagine this would be a problem in a manual trans tho.
The quality looked ok to me, I'll update here if anything develops.
I believe it was all mandrel bent and welded in china as a copy possibly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its been on for a while now and I'm happy with it! It sounds a little throatier but not too loud.
I messaged Synclair Liu, he responded quickly and send a link to pay it online. I asked about the exhaust and he sent some extra pictures and info.. super helpful guy.

Ill send some pics next time I have the car up..im away from home rn.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cool, he's going to set up the order for me tomorrow :) I'm calling this a birthday present, because I really don't need it but it would be fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually purchased one of these in January, right before the virus hit here, but well after it hit China hard. It took 2 1/2 months to arrive here in Utah, probably because of that. As far as quality, it looks extremely well made. Stamped with the Taliferro logo, strong welds, race cat, etc. I've had it on my 03 9-3 SE for months without any problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, my downpipe was delivered in a week! I sanitized it all over and I don't think I saw any Taliaferro marking. it looks and feels solid, the welds are decent. Its too bad its so pretty, I'm going to cover it in high-temp anti-rust paint. Hopefully it will be on the car sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a stage 1 tune now. Would this set up free up a little more power, or would I need another tune?

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
I have a stage 1 tune now. Would this set up free up a little more power, or would I need another tune?
It will probably spool a little faster and more freely due to reduced back pressure but you won't get more HP unless you retune.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts