SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to build a custom spoiler possible with a brake light in it. I'm going to go the foam block route and then fiberglass.

I was wanting your thoughts on what style of wing to make. Im a fan of the wrx sti wing but I feel that would be too big on an '88 hatch.

I appreciate your responses. And I'm expecting the hatemail(your stupid for not keeping a Saab wing on it!!!!!) Etc. I don't care. So let em fly!

·
Registered
719 Posts
re

If your looking for a wing that works its probably best to look at cars of similiar body shape that are being raced or have been raced in a compedetive series. British touring car or something,

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know your M.O. However, The 'ricer-boy' wing is pretty juvenile in my book.

An understated, functional spoiler would be much smarter. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
There was a pot about this a while back, someone found a spoiler for a 1990's Camero that didn't look too bad.

There are a fair few in europe with functional adjustable larger spoilers, they need them for the downforce. My project 9k will eventually have a big one, 150lbs of rear down force can really open up a lot more cornering at speed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
...150lbs of rear down force can really open up a lot more cornering at speed.
I doubt it would trump the cons of the extra drag, but I don't know what kind of course you run.

Anyway, it sounds like this guy is asking about a wing on a DD. Nothing will prevent a wing from announcing the driver as some kind of a poser in that case. We have an entire population of subaru and honda driver proliferating this disease. This is a foolish idea unless understated and functional.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off...
don't care for it to be functional because it won't be that fast.
second...
I don't like the ******-mobile style.
Finally...
I like the STI wing because I like Stirs. But I plan on building it from scratch with some variations, and take some pride in my car.

But thank you for your $0.02.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I doubt it would trump the cons of the extra drag, but I don't know what kind of course you run.

Anyway, it sounds like this guy is asking about a wing on a DD. Nothing will prevent a wing from announcing the driver as some kind of a poser in that case. We have an entire population of subaru and honda driver proliferating this disease. This is a foolish idea unless understated and functional.

Show ones you can do whatever you like, long as the law does not find them a problem.

Functional ones really work, effectively every club sport track car has one for a reason. Long fast sweeping corners on a fast track at 80 to +120mph are much nicer when the back stays planted. Had to catch my street 9k Aero a fair few times at speed and it certainly keeps you on your toes, but is no fun. I'm building a track 9k that will really need one as I've lightened the rear extensively.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts