SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the same Autobox/Manual used on the petrol versions as the diesel?

How much of the harness is different?

Does it use fuel pump and lines?

I know the early 9-5s use an Isuzu diesel motor, I just want to know what else would be needed to drop one into a sludged up 9-5.:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Dont use a isuzu diesel in a sludged 9-5. There is no automatic box for the 9-5 and many parts are different. Isuzu V6 diesel dies from cylinder liner failures in the block which are at least twice the price of a petrol engine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The V6 diesel is not an Isuzu engine from what my Saab indie has told me. The engine was first used in the 9-5 as a test bed then was farmed out to the rest of the GM group who wanted it. Isuzu used to have a 3.1L diesel before they started using the 3.0L. The wet liner failures have been documented on the forums for a few years but you have to remember forums attract people with the same interests and therefore the same problems. How many sludged petrol engine have there been over the years?. The main problem with the V6 diesel and the I4 diesel is EGR failures but if the V6 does have a wet liner problem the it costs 8500 pounds + VAT over here just to buy the engine.
Hope this helps.
Ta,
Deano.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The V6 is Isuzu and the 2,2 and 1,9 is designed by Fiat. In germany Saab trys to get rid of the V6 because of liner issues and fuelinjection pump issues. They are paying over bookvalue regardless of the condition of the car when you buy a new one. The isuzu engine was used by gm and renault but they also have serious issues with them. The 1,9 and the 2,2 engine is very reliable but there are many changed parts so the conversion only makes sense if you have a donor car.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have just looked this up and found this quote "The 9-5 diesel is GM's first recipient of its all-new direct-injected V6 diesel". So to me that reads the 9-5 was the first car to receive it in the GM line up but I have also read just now that Isuzu make it. So they made it and gave it to Saab to iron out the problems DOH. So almost like a Beta test engine. :roll:
Zum Wohl!.
Deano.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I drive the (apparently) only 93ss 22TiD here and Ive been thinking and looking into the same thing. The V6 diesel is junk and those cars seem to be going fairly cheap (in Euros?). But the manual trans from both of the diesels (V6 and 22) look to be the same...bell house, ring & pinions. Petrol boxes are close, but would be hard($$) to procure the aforementioned. There should be some Opel/Vauxhalls with 2.2Tids, so Im assuming somewhat compatible gearboxes. Also how easy would it be to transfer the 95s and 93 shifter mechanisms? That would open more trans possibilities. Another vague area is the ability to communicate with PSG16(2.2Ds operating system) where before there was Trionic. Obviously much more research/discussion needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts