SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
My neighbour has a berry tree that the birds have taken a liking to. This weekend while washing my car I noticed blue bird crap on my car. The mess did not wash off the way I had wanted, I tried Mother's Swirl and blemish remover and a couple different waxes, with no luck. It looks like there is a stain under the clearcoat, if you touch the spot you can't feel anything.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get this off?

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Have you tried a claybar? The only way a stain could get under the clearcoat is if there's a crack in it! Buy a plastic kitty hawk/bird of prey, the birds will see it and steer well clear. :cheesy:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bird Droppings can be extermely hazardous to a car's finish, and the level of acidity varies based on the bird's diet. Assume high acidity because of the berries in your locale.

The best thing is to remove as quickly as possible. You've already cleaned and waxed, but still see a blemish may indicate some etching. You should clean the area again to remove any wax from the spot you want to work on. Use a clay bar (Mothers is a good one and easily available at local car parts stores) on this area to remove your wax and other contaminants. Fairly easy to use, just follow the instructions. Next, try a good polishing compund specifically for cars. Avoid Rubbing compunds as these are highly aggressive. Try with milder products first (Meguiar's Scratch-X) and get more agressive as needed. 3M, Mother's and Meguiars makes some nice polishes, but there may be no other choice than to get a professional detailer to look at it if you're inexperienced and the blemish is really bothersome to you. They possess tools, techniques and products that can yield tremendous results.

www.autopia.org is an excellent resource for more information regarding products available. A search over there on bird droppings (or bird crap) will likely yeild great returns. Also, you'll likely be able to get a referral to a top notch detailer in your area if you provide your location.

Good luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. The plastic hawk or owl idea is very good. I'll try the clay bar and if that does not work, I'll bring it into a shop and have a pro fix it.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think I had a similar problem last summer, only it was with oak tree sap...it took over a month as lots of different products to get it off but what I ended up doing in the end was the let the car sit in the sun for hours and then use the same sap remover that i used before...with one wipe it all came off...:cheesy:

but i doubt that helps u :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I've had problems with bird crap lately as well, but only on the newly painted hood. The original paint holds up fine. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts