SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks, need some help. Got this familiar situation going on with the valve broken. Duct tape is holding for now but it sure gets melty :)

I ordered this part #150655110: amazon: /gp/product/B075JRF3Q5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I managed to slice a bit of the oil trap hose on the right (I think that's what that is) to get a grip and pull out the old plastic.

(I've seen a lot of people asking: the airflow direction is right to left, the valve does not seem to allow air the other way, at least when I blow into it.)

But the damn valves don't match, 150655110 is bigger and I can't get it into the right side hose.

Irritated that I apparently bought the wrong thing, I go to eEuroParts and I find this:

eeuroparts: /Parts/59568/Oil-Trap-Hose-21345927/ (says it's compatible with my year model)
Note that number 21345927.

Looking for faster shipping, I find this on eBay:
ebay: /itm/Breather-Hose-Oil-trap-to-throttle-housing-hose-Pro-Parts-Sweden-21345927-59/153277919409?hash=item23b01370b1:g:pagAAOSwCWRcBX6E
Note the same part number of 21345927.

During checkout, I see a note that says "for valve only, use part 150655110."
But wait, this matches the first part I bought on Amazon that doesn't fit.

So at this point I'm going insane, thinking if I buy this thing on eBay OR on eEuroParts I'm just going to wind up with a hose with a 150655110 in it that I know doesn't fit.

I'd really prefer not to have to replace the entire oil trap hose (the one on the right), but that hose is noticeably stiffer than the hose on the left, and even with the right part, I'm not sure I'll be able to force that in.
If that's the case, I'll just have a mechanic put the entire hose on, because I can't be bothered to spend an hour trying to reach under there and disconnect it, I have bad luck with things like that and things tend to break.
But I need to be 100% sure I'm ordering the right part.

My concern is that the eEuroParts code matches the eBay product but the eBay product says that the valve is the same valve that I bought that I know is too big. What gives?
Am I going to be forced to replace the entire hose, at least on the right side that goes under because 150655110 and 21345927 are indeed correct and they're just bigger than what's in the car for some reason?
Or do I have the wrong part? Will I be able to force that into the right side hose, or is it not designed to be insertable by hand like that? It's so stiff.

The fact that I'm having to ask all these questions is why I hate working on cars. The simplest things become ridiculous.

Thanks in advance folks, sorry for whining :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ah yes, the inevitable PCV NRV thing!

Due to the difficulty in replacing the pipe down to the oil trap, my solution was to use an aluminium non-return valve for a few £ from ebay, inserted between into the existing pipes. Measure the internal diameter. of the rubber pipe on the left (as you look at it) which I seem to recall was 10 mm, and order the appropriate NRV.

You'll be hard pressed to force anything into the rigid pipe, as it was heat shrunk onto the valve originally. I used 10 mm internal dia. [again - check that - measure the rigid pipe outside dia.] fuel hose which is a snug fit over the rigid pipe, and accepts the new aluminium NRV (don't use silicone, it's porous to fuel and oil).

Another contributor on here wondered about the exact triggering pressure of the new NRV. Good point, but beyond blowing through it I wouldn't know how to assess that. I would think it should react to quite light pressure.

You can see the rigid pipe in the pic. The hose clamps on that side aren't strictly necessary as there's only ever -ve pressure there (assuming the NRV still functions properly). The one on the throttle body side experiences +ve pressure when the engine's on boost so is arguably more relevant depending on how tight the fit is.

These cheap valves aren't indestructible. I've had one fail open, so I blow/suck test it every so often. As you say, flow should be toward to throttle body.

NRV replacement 1.jpg

I've also used this type of valve on the evap. pipe from the evap. valve to the throttle body, as the original blue NRVs can fail to fully close. That is also rigid pipe, so again I used fuel hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I could probably use the NRV I have now, which does fit into the rubbery pipe on the left, but won't fit into the rigid pipe, by using your solution - an extra piece of the rubbery hose clamped over the rigid oil trap hose. The nice thing is I should be able to find a hose like that, and clamps, at my terrible local auto parts stores, I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere and just frustrated at having to order everything and wait and then just have the wrong sized part show up. But this I should be able to rig up today.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere and just frustrated at having to order everything and wait and then just have the wrong sized part show up.

I'm also "in the middle of nowhere" (actually the city is slowly swallowing us up) so I have learned to take advantage of folks that provide services for industries and farmers.

Hydraulics shops have the best stuff, everything from custom hoses in minutes to o-rings to nuts, bolts etc, so do farm supply stores and co-ops.

I got non return valve from my local John Deere dealer for my boat a few years ago, marina price would have been thirty bucks, the Deere guy charged me two bucks and made money with a chuckle.

It would probably work on my Saab....end of ramble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bob. I badmouthed my local auto parts store (was thinking of Napa really because they ordered the wrong part for me once) but I just popped by Carquest parts, the only other store in town and literally next door lol, and explained the patch job I want to do, and he found a length of hose in a box that was just perfect and didn't charge me anything for it since it was unlabeled and sliced up anyway. I had to pay $1.50 for the hose clamps though :) but I think it'll work, pretty sure I can squeeze that rigid hose in there and I already know the valve fits, though it also would need to be clamped down a bit since this new hose is slightly large to ensure it'll fit the rigid hose. But I think it's a solid fix. Time to go bleed some more putting this in :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all done, worked great, improved on your method a bit (though I didn't clean up my duct tape glue cuz that's how I roll, lazy af lol)
i started with two hose clips, should have used three, and dropped one into the engine bay never to be seen again... but I used the one clip I had on what appeared to be the weakest part, I think it'll hold up because I was lucky enough to get the perfect size hose from the very nice folks at Carquest Auto Parts Lake Isabella shoutout :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts