SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Cool! That makes sense that it would work. That hot to that cold can't be good for the paint I imagine... But meh... :cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I might have to try the "canned air technique" on a small door ding I collected a few weeks ago.

I saw an Oldsmobile dealership fix hail damage on my grandfather's car with a chunk of dry ice a long time ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
saabcog said:
I might have to try the "canned air technique" on a small door ding I collected a few weeks ago.

I saw an Oldsmobile dealership fix hail damage on my grandfather's car with a chunk of dry ice a long time ago.
Let us know how the door ding comes out...I have several on my passanger side that I just paid $700.00 to fix and they don't look much different.

·
Registered
695 Posts
95Saab07 said:
Let us know how the door ding comes out...I have several on my passanger side that I just paid $700.00 to fix and they don't look much different.
You got it. I'll run out at lunch, pick up a can-o-air, and will post about how it goes. It's just the normal 1/2 inch sized ding where someone's door edge got friendly with 9-5.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here we go. I got a can of air and gave this technique a try.

The dent is about the size of a nickel and is from the car door of some unknown loser with no class... :evil: but I digress.

I heated up the area for about a minute with the hairdryer and then sprayed the air upside down until the spot was frosted over. The dent is not gone, but it is more like a shadow of what it was before. There was no damage to the paint as far as I can tell.

This would be a good thing to try before sending the car to the body shop and would be interesting to see on a larger dent. Anyone willing to give it a try on a larger dent?

At any rate, you might be satisfied with the results and would save some money. If you aren't happy with the results, then you aren't really out anything and can get the car fixed by a professional afterwards.

The two images look strange because I ran the photos through some filters to enhance the dent area. Both photos had the say filters applied. The dent doesn't show up well in the untouched photos. I marked the spots so you can at least look in the correct area. See the dark spot on the right edge of the dent in the "after" photo? That's where it didn't change and can still be seen when looking at the door in person.

Before:

After:

So, the bottom line- the dent didn't disappear; sort of flattened itself out around the edges instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
saabcog
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing