SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing on eBay and found this interesting 9-3. There is hardly any rubber left between the 20" wheels and the road... A new engine at 34K miles? It's always funny to see something like "$40K invested!". Isn't an investment something you expect to make money with? ;)

Viper Alarm with pain generators inside car and airhorns on exterior.
That'll show thiefs :cheesy:

I am not the seller of this car and I don't know him/her, I just thought it was interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CarL...ryZ31866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Big question why a new engine?

Body damage to the rear?

Alarm system upgrade a waste as Saab is low on thieves list.

Other upgrades add little value compared to a stock 9-3 Aero 2004 if you look at what they are going for w/ similair mileage.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds Haggard to me!

Interesting find, but I think whoever buys this will be buying excessive amounts of problems and an empty cheque book. I am sure everyone would love to know why the engine was replaced so quickly...

Drew

·
Registered
144 Posts
ooh sure hope my kids dont try to get into the car when its armed...

I wouldn't go near it personally, sounds like a snowball waiting to become an avalanche.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
nice color. can anyone identify the color besides the generic "blue" listed? 40k invested? what a waste....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
But unless I am mistaken wont 40K buy U a new aero with many options yr side? Then why buy a 2nd hand with 40K invested the bloke will want this + the basic cost of the car, no?

·
Registered
157 Posts
On behalf of all Dallas-Fort Worth Saab owners, I apologize.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Someone should send him a message asking what he did to require a new engine so soon. I doubt he'll give an honest answer, but the story could be funny.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
All those mods and the guy doesn't post here--pretty strange.

$40,000 maybe if he considers the new engine "value" as that was probably between $5-10,000.

That sound system set up was easily $4,000 or more:suprised;

·
Registered
409 Posts
That doesn't look like a Saab at all. That looks like a Jetta owned by some punk kid who wants to compete with the Asian guy down the street with his riced-out Honda Civic.

I guess this sums up one of the reasons I own my Saab - it's an adult's car. Very few people try to "pimp" or "rice out" a Saab. I've never come across a Saab with a fart muffler attached to a 5" exhaust outlet, an extremely oversized wing spoiler on the trunk, a badly fitting body kit with defective paint, wheels which are ridiculously oversized, too many subwoofers, etc

That car, it was a nice car until this clown started ripping it apart. Maybe some larger rims, fine. But this is excessive. And why a new engine at 36k mi? Did someone spike his gas tank with sugar? One of the other ricers on the block who was jealous?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. The work that was done on th audio system looks very nice to me. I could do without all the stuff in the trunk, but it's a clean installation on the interior. The alarm is a little overkill, but I guess they were going for the all or nothing approach.

Acidradio, what's the deal with this line. You say you own a Saab becaus it's a car for adults. Any adult would have thought before they posted this...

"....owned by some punk kid who wants to compete with the Asian guy down the street with his riced-out Honda Civic."

I see nothing ricey about the car. You can do without the stereotyping too, makes me feel like I'm on a BMW forum. The wheels are overkill, but he has BSR kit which everyone here loves and that's about it. I don't see a huge wing, stickers, or a fart can. You take the wheels off that car and sell them to a Pontiac G6 owner and buy some more and you've got a fine looking car. You can probably get rid of the alarm too and mke some money back that way.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Definitely not my cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with personal expression IMHO. I do like big wheels and stuff, but those don't seem to go all that well with Saab's understated/sophisticated looks.

Seems like it's also a bit overpriced for what you get, it looks like this guy (or girl) certainly got every bit out of the 34K miles, looks like a lot of unnecessary roughness based on the cosmetic flaws.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would personally like to get a set of tires like that but would probably go with a different set of rims. As for the engine I havent checked the listing yet but did he replaced it with a stock saab motor or a different specialized motor for power? Just wondering because that might have something to do with the new motor so early.

·
Registered
409 Posts
cjhutch said:
Acidradio, what's the deal with this line. You say you own a Saab becaus it's a car for adults. Any adult would have thought before they posted this...

"....owned by some punk kid who wants to compete with the Asian guy down the street with his riced-out Honda Civic."
Any adult? I don't understand that line. Of anything, this is a line that sounds like it comes from some old guy like my dad more than anything else! I can't offer my opinion that I feel the car is way overdone?

This is exactly how this car appears to me - along the lines of something like an overly-modded Jetta or Civic. You're right. It doesn't have all the "ricer" accessories on it, but is sure on it's way there! High school kids and younger people drive cars which look like that. Most adults don't do that. Unless there is some really good explanation for replacing an engine at 36K (!), that kind of damage in a short period of time speaks for itself.

Blue Charvel said:
Definitely not my cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with personal expression IMHO. I do like big wheels and stuff, but those don't seem to go all that well with Saab's understated/sophisticated looks.
Well stated. That's absolutely it. Saabs are understated and sophisticated. This car is a too far of a departure from that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts