SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week we had a terrible downpour. I was on my way home on a dark street and being the only car on it I didnt see that the street was somewhat flooded.. So I went through a decent sized standing of water. The car acted fine. So once I had drivin a bit I hit a little boost to make sure it was okay. And all of a sudden I get this god awful rattling noise that sounds like its coming from my dash/shifter area. But the next day it was gone. Well last night I was on my way up to Orlando, and again it started. I have no clue what it is. I cant for the life of my find anything loose. Especially not in those areas. Any ideas? ;oops:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Detonation sounds like a rattling noise,could be that.Be careful-check for oil in your intake/throttle body.There's a problem with these cars.The oil system gets too much oil in the intake,mixes with the gas and then the octane of the gas is lowered.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Rattling heat sheilds or splash guards would be common of a big puddle, but might be a different type of soun.

On t5's you can plug the crankcase vent hold on the intake and put a little filter on the vent up by the firewall. Can you do this on t7's?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Stromer's diagnosis sounds good - simple physical damage to the exhaust or heat shield.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its definatly a physical noise. I think it might be my exhaust hitting a heatshield.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
mg_td said:
mine does this at about 2k rpm in hevy rain w/ wot only
Well in this scenario I imagine the engine and drivetrain is moving on its mounts a lot as there is the sudden torque. So this could support the heatsheild thing, or maybe a number of other things.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i get the feeling the engine does shift significantly under load, thats why im excited for the tranny mount whenever i get around to it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It certainly can't hurt anything. Nor can the top mount. If all of my funds (including those I haven't even made yet) weren't destined for more horsepower, I might work on some drivetrain reinforcements. That top mount is just looking to be perfected. And I did just buy that book on welding...

But for your problem mike, I don't know how the water would effect it, so my theory probably isn't too accurate on its own.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i have no idea why its only in the wet, fartland saab couldnt tell me either. im heading up to cold brook with a list sometime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts