SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the bulbs in my third brake light are burnt out, now giving me a brakelight failure message on the SID. Are these bulbs replaceable? If so, how do you get at them, and what bulb # are they? I have a '97 900SE with the third brake light under the spoiler, within the metal area of the hatch lid.

I've seen the entire unit for sale but would rather replace the bulbs if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The bulbs are wedge bulbs, the same type as your fender blinkers and the tiny lights in the headlight housings. The originals are a European size, W5W, but the standard 194/168 will work fine.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Always a correct and proper answer from Jeremy;ol;..Mine is a '96 900S, I have checked these bulbs, requires some disassembly.
I'll have to do this again.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once the interior panel is removed from the hatch (are there any tricks there?), what is the process to get at the bulbs in the brakelight assembly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The bulbs are wedge bulbs, the same type as your fender blinkers and the tiny lights in the headlight housings. The originals are a European size, W5W, but the standard 194/168 will work fine.
Since these are brake lights, I'm always in favour of ensuring they're as bright as possible.

Take a look at http://store.candlepower.com/pamalidolitr.html

I have on my list of to-dos to order a bunch of the (expensive) 2886X bulbs for the brake and fender signal locations. "Ultra long life" sounds promising too.

The W5W is probably brighter than the 168 (rating voltages differ), and the 168 is certainly brighter than the 194. See http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/signal_bulbs/signal_bulbs.html for info.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tackled the third brake light bulbs today, getting the inside hatch cover off was easy, as was the removal of the brake light. The bulbs could be replaced without removing the brake light, but mine was pretty corroded on one of the ends, requiring a little creative wiring to the last bulb. All are functional now, and a lot cheaper than buying a new unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
The correct bulb is 2825 (I got mine at wal-mart ~$5 pair). This will be the correct wattage for a brake light. 168/194 are not bright enough.

The panel comes off quite easily to access the bulbs. Just start unscrewing the grab handle and other fasteners, it'll come right off. Then just a ccw turn of the bulb base frees the individual bulb.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The correct bulb is 2825 (I got mine at wal-mart ~$5 pair). This will be the correct wattage for a brake light. 168/194 are not bright enough.
Looks to be the same as a European W5W (Wedge 5 W), which I believe is what Saab specs for a 900's centre brake light (as well as the fender flashers and the headlight parking bulb).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looks to be the same as a European W5W (Wedge 5 W), which I believe is what Saab specs for a 900's centre brake light (as well as the fender flashers and the headlight parking bulb).
I believe it would be to bright for a parking light bulb though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts