SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is ending and we are getting closer to the dreaded snow season up in the North East. I am toying around with several ideas as to what I will do. The tires on my car are all season Toyo Proxes 4 with 4k miles on them but I do not want to run them in the snow. I have been pricing out snow tires $104-134/tire from Dunlop Wintersport M3- Bridgestone Bilzzaks and a few inbetween.

I have thought about simply changing the tires on my factory Aero/Vector wheels but would rather not. that would be around $536+mounting ($134/tire)

I have looked into Steel 16" wheels with dedicated snow tires and that would be around $688 ($107/tire + $65/wheel) and I can put them on the car myself but the look would probably bother me.

I looked into 16" Sport Edition Fox 5 rims on tire rack with dedicated snow tires would run around $888 ($107/tire + $115/wheel)

Or I can get 17" Sport Edition Fox 5 rims on tire rack with dedicated m3 snow tires that would run around $1,076 ($134/tire + $135/wheel)

I really do not want to spend that much so I am most likely going to focus on 16" wheels. If anyone knows of any good sites to find saab wheels I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if anyone knows what size tire should I get for winter tires, both 16" and 17" sizes since I am still undecided. thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a similar situation, dealing with winters in the Northeast. I purchased Saab's own winter tire package. It includes Goodyear snow tires mounted and balanced on Saab's own ten spoke wheels, which I believe are standard on the '04 Arc. They look great and I think were fairly reasonable, I paid just under $900 for the package. And the performance of the tires is spectacular. The grip in snow is nothing short of spectacular.

The other bonus of a snow tire package is that it will enable you to buy a higher performance tire to run for nine months out of the year, instead of all seasons. Also, I figure I can recoup some of the initial package cost by selling the wheels when I get rid of the car, as there always seems to be demand for Saab OEM wheels....

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the Saab package too (Saab 10-spoke rims & Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 tires) they grip really well on snow and ice, plus it keeps a stock look. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You need to call individual dealers. It was very "hit or miss." I had to drive to a dealer an hour away, but they had them in stock. They were also $40 dollars cheaper than a different dealer I contacted. Go figure. :confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
i have a set of the stock Saab Arc 10-spoke 16inch rims for sale in the classifieds. theyre in perfect condition except for one scratch and im selling them for CHEAP. plus i live in CT so we could meet up instead of paying for shippin, just an option

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll bid on those rims

SeanArc,
How much for the set of 4? I live in NJ and I would drive up to pick them up.
You can PM for my info.

Thanks,
GriffinAero

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
SeanArc said:
i have a set of the stock Saab Arc 10-spoke 16inch rims for sale in the classifieds. theyre in perfect condition except for one scratch and im selling them for CHEAP. plus i live in CT so we could meet up instead of paying for shippin, just an option
Highly interested, please e-mail me with pictures and a price you're looking to get. EDIT

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
For those who are looking for cheap rims - get Cadillac Catera rims. Same bolt pattern, made by the sam company as Saab rims and offset is almost the same 39mm vs Saab 41 (we can use lower not higher).

·
Registered
267 Posts
JPUConn said:
Also if anyone knows what size tire should I get for winter tires, both 16" and 17" sizes since I am still undecided. thanks!
Go 16" rather than 17". The more effective winter tire is going to be the smaller diameter and thinner tire.. If you can get your hands on some 16" 10 spokes do that, otherwise steels are best. For tires, I swear by the Nokian Hakkapeleta. You can get them studless or studded. Designed by Nokian in Finland, you can't get a better winter tire.

Personally I'm going to run with 205/55-16 Hakkapeleta 1 tires on steels. Depending on how much I plan on driving this winter I might go with studs, but I'm not as reliant on the car as I used to be so I might just go studless.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
For winter driving, you should avoid wheels with large open spoke patterns, as this can accumulate slush and ice. For myself, I use steel wheels and plastic wheel covers in winter. Some of them look quite good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nokian from Finland

GIR said:
Go 16" rather than 17". The more effective winter tire is going to be the smaller diameter and thinner tire.. If you can get your hands on some 16" 10 spokes do that, otherwise steels are best. For tires, I swear by the Nokian Hakkapeleta. You can get them studless or studded. Designed by Nokian in Finland, you can't get a better winter tire.

Personally I'm going to run with 205/55-16 Hakkapeleta 1 tires on steels. Depending on how much I plan on driving this winter I might go with studs, but I'm not as reliant on the car as I used to be so I might just go studless.
GIR, where did you get those tires in NJ? Tirerack?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts