SaabCentral Forums banner

Thinking of buying an extended warranty

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JonV 
#1 ·
Have 87k on the car right now, guess Im screwed by only 7k for getting the factory extended warranty. What other companies should i go through for the 9-3 2003? Or is it even worth getting a warranty at this point? Thanks!

#4 ·
You know I had a plan like that and it was pretty limited, so read the fineprint. And they may only cover major things such as tranny and engine service:) Also you had to make sure to still maintain the scheduled maintenance. You also need to make sure if it transferrable or refundable. With a refund they will prorate you. This is good IF you sell the Saab. Hope this helps a little. :)

Cheers
Ken

#6 ·
When I got my quote from the dealership, the sales person told me that he has no idea how the PPC will affect the warranty. And it cost more than $3000 for a full coverage. Given the amount of uncertainty, I decided to roll the dice and keep driving until the turbo blow up.

#7 ·
If you have a good relationship with dealer go the saab offer. I've had 3rdparty insurance based warrenties one came with a car, one I was forced to take out when MG Rover folded, and won't ever waste my money that way again -

all the fine print denied "wear and tear",
if work required gaskets - not covered,
if work required remoaval of bits not directly effected - not covered,
Finally, I got a servicel after I came back from overseas, three weeks after their fine print 6mths service period [car garaged for 1 month] they informed me the car no longer covered when I sent in ticket of work.

#8 · (Edited)
"the sales person told me that he has no idea how the PPC will affect the warranty."

With Saab It will void your engine and powertrain warranty if they know you've altered the programming. I'm sure it would do the same to an aftermarket warranty. Just detune before service or repairs.

#10 ·
MainLineSaab said:
Legally, Saab cannot void your warranty due to aftermarket components unless they can prove the aforementioned components cause your car to break.

If they do void it due to the presence of aftermarket parts, get a lawyer. Seriously.
A PPC is not a "Part" or a "compoment" like a piston or Turbo, PPC stands for Portable Program Carrier. A device which plugs in and re-programs or "re-maps" your ECU, that is what controls the operating parameters of your engine. So I don't think there's a case if you burn out a cylinder or blow something when you've admitted to scrapping the factory programming and installing your own/aftermarket unapproved software..

#13 ·
i got 42k miles, and iam also interested in extended warranty.
I LOVE my saab, as many of u guys here do. So i would like to keep it secure until i get something new (pshhh idk 08 9-3 ;)) not anytime soon. But my question is, who do i Go to about doing this? my warranty is going to expire in 8kmiles/october of 08.
What should be my first step? (btw i want power-train warranty)
Thank You SO mUCH

Huso

#14 ·
shift_6spd said:
i got 42k miles, and iam also interested in extended warranty.
I LOVE my saab, as many of u guys here do. So i would like to keep it secure until i get something new (pshhh idk 08 9-3 ;)) not anytime soon. But my question is, who do i Go to about doing this? my warranty is going to expire in 8kmiles/october of 08.
What should be my first step? (btw i want power-train warranty)
Thank You SO mUCH

Huso
See post 3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.