SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently have a 2000 93 and find it a great, although a bit high-maintenance.

We now need a second car and after lots of looking around I'm now thinking about a 9000. We have very limited budget (preferably under 2000 euros) and want something: safe, reliable and cheap.

I've found a couple of them locally that seem to be good value, but I don't have a clue what I'd be getting myself into in terms of repair costs with these ones. The ones I've found are:
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=805479
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=798625

Any suggestion on what to look for in these if I go for a test drive?
Also both of them have short NCT (irish equivalent of MOT - roadworthiness test) on them, what would be the common failure point of these in that regards?

Any advice would be greately appreciated.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
While the 9000 is a great car, its safe, can be reliable, but when its not reliable, its certainly not cheap.

I personally wouldnt recommend it to anyone on a budget, and typically would show that person to a 2.3L N/A late 90's saab 900.

Theres more electronic stuff to break, the clutch is more expensive to fix, thats basically it.

ashimashi said:
Any suggestion on what to look for in these if I go for a test drive?
Well if you go on those you we might not be able to stop you from buying one :cool:

Obviously look for rust and what not, but check the color of the tranny fluid if its an auto, theres a sticky on that.

See if the clutch pedal is nice and responsive, and not sagging close to the floor. And the typical turbo check, wham on the gas and see if excess smoke shoots out the tail pipe.

Does it have TCS? Dont buy it if it does because your looking at the cheaper / reliable ones right?

[Edit:] Those look like very nice / clean saabs by the way

·
Registered
803 Posts
TCS can be useful, however, if not continually kept in good shape, it can be a nightmare. I've seen otherwise perfect 9000's go to the junkyard because of TCS problems.
It's not a bad thing to have TCS, but expect to pay a large amount if the previous owner neglected it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
ash...the second car black/manual/low miles/ and cheap (everything i'm looking for)..never a big fan of the hitch not quite sure of the life it had lead...best of luck in your search

1 - 5 of 5 Posts