SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a clean 900 base auto being sold for $800 and I was curious what I should look for. What should I offer for this car? Also, is the automatic transmission good in these cars or should I look for a stick? How are they in snow and what fuel economy could I expect with an automatic? Edmunds estimates 19/22 mpg for the auto, and 22/29 for the stick. I like stick more but I'm looking for an inexpensive winter car and this auto looks clean. I could live with it, but if a stick is that much better on gas I might as well look for a manual. I hear saab autos are stronger than their manuals, is this true for this year's 900? Finally, are these cars very problematic or are n/a's reliable and the turbos have the problems? I have a feeling an older saab will leave me stranded.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
you should get 25-28 uk galls per mile ina n auto and 30+++ in a manual as the 3rd (top ) gear in an auto is equivalent to 4th in a manual, you get the extra with 5th gear. main problem i have found with auto's in winer is that you have no "feel" control, e.g. if wheels start spinning you can drop the clutch or when starting you can ease it of slowly, but with the auto you don't have that facility you can put your foot down slowly but cannot feel the bite the same.
I actually spun my wheels the other night on a wet road at the lights and everyone looked round, ;oops: and i was'nt even trying to get away fast it was just the slip diff sending the power to the nearside wheels as i pressed down to move off. but other than that no great problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts