SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I found a interesting 1999 SAAB 9-5 it has 165k miles on it, and I am just curious wherethere the engine will live any longer, or how much would it cost to replace relativly new engine to this boody. and it is 2.3t engine.

Owner said that he has all the records for maintenance, and that it is very well maintained car, it seems also that most of those miles are highway miles...

2.3L engine with manual transmission

should I consider buying it?:confused:

or should I buy an 9000 with low milage instead of 9-5 with high milage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the guy is asking for 5k I am thinking that I might try to get it for 3.5-4k

but around 5000

I just found that one SAAB and really like the price a just that there is an opportunity to get it for this price with this milage, but also with all service records...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central Rusokar :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
For 4-5k, personally I'd go for it. Check out the maintenance records and check on things like oil changes and if the DI casette has been changed a lot. Oil sludging could be an issue if the person's gone a while (>5k) with non-synthetic motor oil. If the DI casette has been replaced a lot, then you probably want to avoid it, since they cost about $300 a shot and can do a lot of damage if not treated right away.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
BrightSide said:
Check out the maintenance records and check on things like oil changes
Agreed, and with that much mileage it should have a briefcase full of history ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The DI cassette sits on top of the spark plugs, we dont have spark plug leads etc on our cars, its an expensive item but more reliable than leads and coils etc;)

In this pic it is in the middle with DIRECT IGNITION on it ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Chris 9-5 said:
its an expensive item but more reliable than leads and coils etc;)
but for some reason it can be change a lot? :p, so it has to be changed on a regular bases? And does it comes out that if it is breaking a lot it will continue? (sorry I just don't understand why should I avoid it if it has been changed a lot :p) Or is the real problem in the engine? Or is it just not good enought quality? but chis said that it is more reliable then leads and coils? (newbie in automotive things spechially SAAB) but I learned something today :p

found an interesting site about that issue:p
http://www.quasimotors.com/di_warn.htm

or just one more question does anyone know how much would it cost to rebuild SAAB's engine? and how reliable is the turbo (and if it can actually be rebuild?)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
They shouldnt need changing often, mine died at about 120k, if they have had a few then poor maintenance could be an issue, you must only ever use the correct NGK resistor spark plugs correctly gapped, or you will reduce the DI life, that said its no hasstle putting the right plugs in and they come pre gapped!

An engine will be expensive, I paid about $3500-$4000 over here for a short engine replacement and turbos are about $1000 over here too, but again, a turbo should last a long time if the car is correctly maintained with fully synthetic oil changes every 6k or so ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
rusokar said:
thanks guys I will propably go take a look at it this weekend. If it has not been sold :(
Have a good read of the forums, remember poeple post problems here, its not that they are totally unreliable cars!

Let us know how you get on ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Chris 9-5 said:
Have a good read of the forums, remember poeple post problems here, its not that they are totally unreliable cars!

Let us know how you get on ;)

Well I was thinking for a while about what kind of car to buy, and all of the cars have reliabilety issue, it depends about how previese owners treated the car, well also cars can be a lemon from the beginning (like VW which I really wanted to get :p)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts