SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are using some wheel spacers,please throw up some pictures and what spacers your using. I'm thinking for myself that I could use a 15mm front and 20mm rear to fill it out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
H&R 5mm in front

H&R 15mm rear

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Never go wider at the rear than the front... you're inviting understeer.

I have 20mm all round and the difference is like night and day. It handles great, feels much more stable around tight corners and looks better too.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

I have 20mm all round and the difference is like night and day. It handles great, feels much more stable around tight corners and looks better too.
im still wider at the front by 10mm i measured. i put a piece of sting from the front wheel to the back. and i had 10mm between the string and wheel. so i think im still good. the front of the car is a little wider than the rear.

if i ran 20mm up front my wheels would be about .25" out of the fender. the car feels just as planted, if not more to me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sorry for hijacking this thread lol. So basically, it improves handling...? I thought spacers weren't recommended to use :confused:. I've actually been thinking about this too and from what I understand.. some people love 'em, and some hate them... could you use 15mm spacers all around and be ok then.. Or since you just used 5mm in the front, I suppose 15mm should be better in the rear..

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for hijacking this thread lol. So basically, it improves handling...? I thought spacers weren't recommended to use :confused:. I've actually been thinking about this too and from what I understand.. some people love 'em, and some hate them... could you use 15mm spacers all around and be ok then.. Or since you just used 5mm in the front, I suppose 15mm should be better in the rear..

Hijacking is perfectly fine! This tread is to inform me and other about spacers.

From my research is to stay far far away from the ebay spacers. For safety issues, always get a spacer with a hubcentric ring.

Where are you guys buying your spacers from? any good vendor i should look at?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Livermore Performance [California www.lpiracing.com] is always reliable (with quick delivery to Canada too). 15mm H&R all round a no brainer -- same bolts etc., not 'over the top' in terms of pushing beyond fender line. Not sure they're the 'cheapest'...

Right size bolts are not on their web site though (weren't when I last ordered) but the appropriate part numbers are:

HR3045650 for H&R 15mm Wheel Spacer, Saab 9-3/9-5 5/110 (sold as a pair)

HR1254001 H&R Wheel Bolt, 40mm Tapered -- sold individually...need 5 per wheel.

If you want bolt with locks etc. I'm sure they would be able to help too.

Actually, Kandiru has posted much on these various points...which might be a haystack's needle because the Search facility on the site has become so frustrating!

·
Registered
264 Posts

Did you notice any vibration or alignment issues? Did you have any problems whenever they align your car in terms of camber? What brand and where did you get them? Are you lowered?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not worried, its a daily driver, not a track car, and I've noticed no additional understeer from it in my commuting. Though I do plan to get another set for up front (probably 15mm also Eibach) when I get new tires and alignment this month.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
25mm at the rear (H&R)
No spacer at the front but i plan on 5-10mm
No pics yet due to rain, honestly it looks like the wheels line up perfectly now. Saab had the rear wheels closer in the eliminate understeer... but it looks terrible lol.

Im more worried about roasting only 1 tire since we have no LSD then understeering during hard corners.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
so after finally driving around ALOT today with the spacers, ive notice that even with 5mm spacers in the front im rubbing on the INSIDE of the fender. its very weird. I run 235/40/18 and im lowered on megans. i figure since i pushed the wheel out 5mm, it would put it 5mm further from the wheel well, guess not. :(

i looked inside the fender and noticed that part of the inside fender was wearing down a little bit because, idiotically saab put a cut-out where the wheel would go inside the fender when your at full-lock in either direction and at the stock ride height.

gotboost, i know your lowered on megans, could you take a look at the inside of your wheel well for me and tell me if your rubbing a little bit too?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Ill look but im on 17's so that extra bit might help me. Especially at size 235/35 (shorter nd wider)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ill look but im on 17's so that extra bit might help me. Especially at size 235/35 (shorter nd wider)
good point. do you know if anyone on here is running 235/40/18 w/ megans on here. ive been searching forums, but since we lost the search feature, its been hard.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I cite below Hirsch Performance's answer when I asked about installing wheel spacers in my car:

[FONT=&quot]"The Saab 9-3 is very sensitive to changes to the suspension geometry. Therefore, we do not recommend installing spacers at all, other than for purely static exhibition purposes, due to the severely negative impact on the car´s handling. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We would recommend installing our lightweight flowformed 18x8“ ET41 twin five-spoke wheel with 235x40R18, or for a true design statement go for the 19x8“ ET41 twin six spoke with 235x35R19. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The combination of wider tyres and rims will give the car the same appearance as if you had installed spacers, but with a much improved driving experience.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I cite below Hirsch Performance's answer when I asked about installing wheel spacers in my car:

[FONT=&quot]"The Saab 9-3 is very sensitive to changes to the suspension geometry. Therefore, we do not recommend installing spacers at all, other than for purely static exhibition purposes, due to the severely negative impact on the car´s handling. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We would recommend installing our lightweight flowformed 18x8“ ET41 twin five-spoke wheel with 235x40R18, or for a true design statement go for the 19x8“ ET41 twin six spoke with 235x35R19. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The combination of wider tyres and rims will give the car the same appearance as if you had installed spacers, but with a much improved driving experience.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]
Haha nicee!

good point. do you know if anyone on here is running 235/40/18 w/ megans on here. ive been searching forums, but since we lost the search feature, its been hard.
Im running those tire sizes but have the H&Rs springs instead of the Megan. Very slight rubbing but only when the steering wheel is truned all the way left or right...not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Haha nicee!

Im running those tire sizes but have the H&Rs springs instead of the Megan. Very slight rubbing but only when the steering wheel is truned all the way left or right...not a big deal at all.
yeah im the same way, i notice some scrape marks on the inside fender. I took the wheel off sanded the plastic, VERY LIGHTLY, where the wheel was touching, and sincee then i havent heard any rubbing.

[FONT=&quot]"The Saab 9-3 is very sensitive to changes to the suspension geometry. Therefore, we do not recommend installing spacers at all, other than for purely static exhibition purposes, due to the severely negative impact on the car´s handling. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We would recommend installing our lightweight flowformed 18x8“ ET41 twin five-spoke wheel with 235x40R18, or for a true design statement go for the 19x8“ ET41 twin six spoke with 235x35R19. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The combination of wider tyres and rims will give the car the same appearance as if you had installed spacers, but with a much improved driving experience.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]
hirsch says that so youll buy their wheels. its a business they're trying to make money. i have 18x8 wheels with spacers, and the car handles BETTER.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
yeah coming from a company that overcharges for every product they have

1 - 20 of 40 Posts