SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for a Saab wagon to buy (having looked at several) and have finally found one that I want to make an offer on. It is a 2000 9-5 5-speed with 146,000 miles (mostly highway) on the engine. It is in great shape, clean inside and out, starts easy, engine runs well, no noises, and rides very well. Having done a little research and am familiar with the sludge problem, I am a little hesitant because of the miles. The owner has used only synthetic oil (the sticker of the last oil change still on the window) and it has the pcv upgrade kit installed. He is asking $3200, but I think I'm would make an offer about $2500. Any hints and or advice?

tia

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I can offer any bits of advice...don't do it.

I had a perfectly fine Volvo V70 which I sold, then bought a 2000 95 with 100K Mi on it and it has been nothing. Nothing but problems.

From limp home mode on the TB and eventually having it replaced to check engine lights. Drivers window wouldn't go up or down. Cabin Fan motor and fan control module need to be replaced. That means I don't have any air movement in my car. If I choose to fix that, I will then need to address the fact the heat is uncontrollable for the passenger. Quote for that is $1400.

I am now stuck with the worst car I have ever owned with no hope other than to me wrecking into a telephone pole and totaling it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The good news is, I hit a deer one cold and snowy night which caused $2500 worth of damage. (Hood fixed, headlights and turn signal all replaced).

So, with the new headlights I no longer illuminate the first 5' in front of my car.

And my rental car was a KIA Rio for 10 days. The heat actually worked and the CD played mp3s.

But, you don't have to take my advice.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sounds like you got a bit of a lemon, there mjbb. I'm sorry for your misfortune.

The 9-5 is a fantastic car, though they do have their quirks, much like all cars. It sounds like this particular one would be a safe bet, with the most recent PCV update and synthetic oil changes, both of which are critical to the prevention of sludge. If the car has that many miles and has not been affected by sludge I'd think you're in the clear. Only a small percentage of the T7 (T7 being Trionic 7 engine management system) cars had the sludge problem to begin with.

If you take care of it and don't beat the living hell out of it, it should last another 150k easy. The wagons are by far the prettiest, too, in my opinion.

Good luck, and pics are necessary if you do wind up buying it. :D

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I would go for it as well it sound like it was well taken care of. I would make a lower offer and see what happens. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
If I can offer any bits of advice...don't do it.

I had a perfectly fine Volvo V70 which I sold, then bought a 2000 95 with 100K Mi on it and it has been nothing. Nothing but problems.

From limp home mode on the TB and eventually having it replaced to check engine lights. Drivers window wouldn't go up or down. Cabin Fan motor and fan control module need to be replaced. That means I don't have any air movement in my car. If I choose to fix that, I will then need to address the fact the heat is uncontrollable for the passenger. Quote for that is $1400.

I am now stuck with the worst car I have ever owned with no hope other than to me wrecking into a telephone pole and totaling it.
Well that sounds like you bought a badly maintained car there dont; blame it on the car, bame it on the owner.

If you can read, check the forums and you will find you you probably have a code 08 on the ACC. It is an easy DIY or like $200 to have a competent mechanic fix.

The window is probably bad green rollers, $12 part and 30 minutes to fix, look for Al's red wagon tutorial.

The Throttle body is a wear item after 100 K -400 bucks another simple 10 min DIY there.

So you can either join the forum and get your car up to snuff or come on just to compalin about stuff eneryone here knows is pretty simple to fix.
The good news is, I hit a deer one cold and snowy night which caused $2500 worth of damage.

So, with the new headlights I no longer illuminate the first 5' in front of my car.

But, you don't have to take my advice.
Suprised it was not totaled a 3000 with miles is max worth that...

I would go for it as well it sound like it was well taken care of. I would make a lower offer and see what happens. GOOD LUCK!
Yes a well cared for car will look nice and with those miles you should be well past Sludge concerns. If he used synthetic for al lchamges yo are golden.

Buy it and get keep it runing to 250K with the help of the members here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you can get hold of an update late 2001 wagon you would find it a much better car all up. 1265 design and engineering changes over the old model.

I have two.

Love 'em!!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The big plus in considering this car is the PCV upgrade has already been done. One would think that the sump has already been dropped and cleaned. The owner has used synthetic oil and the car looks and runs good. Why look around for another year model when these things would have to be done anyway. With this car some of the main things needing to be done have already been done. As most of us know a well maintained SAAB with 100k plus miles is a cream puff. :) A SAAB is a SAAB! If an issue comes up with these cars and you don't look into it in the beginning you will pay in the end.:(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds good, really. You could do the sump one afternoon just for peace of mind. I did and was surprised to find more than I expected. Now it is like a mirror down there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well that sounds like you bought a badly maintained car there dont; blame it on the car, bame it on the owner.

If you can read, check the forums and you will find you you probably have a code 08 on the ACC. It is an easy DIY or like $200 to have a competent mechanic fix.

The window is probably bad green rollers, $12 part and 30 minutes to fix, look for Al's red wagon tutorial.

The Throttle body is a wear item after 100 K -400 bucks another simple 10 min DIY there.

So you can either join the forum and get your car up to snuff or come on just to compalin about stuff eneryone here knows is pretty simple to fix.

Suprised it was not totaled a 3000 with miles is max worth that...

Yes a well cared for car will look nice and with those miles you should be well past Sludge concerns. If he used synthetic for al lchamges yo are golden.

Buy it and get keep it runing to 250K with the help of the members here.
Thanks for the tips. I have been reading (writing even) here ever since and have found some very helpful tips along the way. I was going for the voice of reason and not complaining. Maybe shedding some light on "what can go wrong". Since, I have been told by 3 mechanics (2 of which have worked on only Saabs for a min of 20 yrs and the other a mechanic for 35 yrs) that my car "looks to be a pretty sound car".

The code for the Cabin Fan and diagnosis run by my shop, I received was that BOTH the Cabin Fan (shorted out and gone bad) and Fan Control Module (sending bad signals to the fan causing it to blow). I tried the reset function with no luck. The Saabsite says something about "These are a common part that goes bad".

By "Quirks" do you mean these common problems-
Limp Home Mode
Window Rollers
Cabin Fan
Engine Sludge
The PVC "updates"

It seems I have a handful of parts going bad at about 100K (TB, Cabin Fan, Neutral Safety Switch). The Crankcase Position Sensor is another one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm convinced. I am going to run a carfax in a few minutes and if that comes clean, then hopefully I will be driving it tomorrow.

Thanks for hte encouragement. It is a sharp looking car.

·
Registered
516 Posts
To back up your decision, I bought my 2002 with 139k mi for significantly more than you will pay for this one. Had similar records, just a couple years newer. It's at 163k and counting with no problems.

It it starting to develop, or maybe I'm just now noticing, a fair share of squeaks and bushing sloppiness that I haven't had the time or money to track down yet, but I'm still completely happy with the car, being 5-speed wagon. It sounds like you have a pretty good sense of what to look for, and what to expect in terms of potential problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I picked up the wagon today. Found out it was a Gary Fisher edition. Cleaned up real nice. I think it needs brakes and I am going to change the serpentine belt as well. Not sure when either has been done, but it hasn't been within the last 60k miles. What a nice car.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really like this car. I wanted a wagon because of the room and this is a sharp looking car. Our first outing was taking the greyhounds up to a parade in town today. They sorta' fit in the back seat, but we can put them in the back if necessary. Since the drive was only about a mile, we let them stick their heads out the window, one on each side. They seem to be saying as we drove, "Hey, look at us, we're in a Saab." :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Now you need to get those wheels off and put on something from the younger model 9-5s.
I have two 5s, one a wagon, the other an Aero sedan and it is one of THE most practical cars going around.
It would be prudent to do a double oil flush, and even consider dropping the sump soon, cleaning the oil pickup mesh. That way you can relax about any oil starvation issues down the track. Really worth doing for peace of mind.

Good luck with it. Looks like you have done well.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
good lookin wagon! thats cool that it's that color and a 5spd- rare find man. i got lucky enough to come by my aero 5spd in silver @ 87k.

hope it treats you well, and remember to stay UP TO DATE on maintenance! this car will not take kindly to being neglected.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Well I picked up the wagon today. Found out it was a Gary Fisher edition. Cleaned up real nice. I think it needs brakes and I am going to change the serpentine belt as well. Not sure when either has been done, but it hasn't been within the last 60k miles. What a nice car.

Congratulations, clean looking car and welcome to the forum.

G

·
I used to have a 2001 9-5 in that Sun Green color and loved it. Too bad yours isn't an automatic but you can't have it all, can you? ;)

Congrats and enjoy! :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts