SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I almost lost to a cavalier in traffic. I took off after it in first about even, shifted into 2nd, popped the clutch and mashing the throttle. Except rather than flying by the cavy I remained in a dead heat as the pungent smell of burnt clutch filled the air. :cry: I think it's on its way out, it's never had trouble grabbing before. Anyone every changed a clutch on these cars? Is it hard to do?

Also on a related transmission note, what are the specs of Saab transmission oil? Is it regular 75W-90 gear oil cause I want to fill it up with Mobil 1 if it is.

X

·
0 Posts
Raven, My man at Abbott racing recommended the 80 for the gear box. Its not to slippery so it gives a real positive feel. I like it.. :)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
75W-80, 80W-90, or straight SAE 80? :confused:

So no one has ever done a clutch on these. *sigh*

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Both Saab manual and Haynes says "saab approved oil" and leaves it at that..no specifics. Finn knows cos he a stick shifter, whilst me and Chris are stuck with slush boxes.

X

·
0 Posts
Good point Kermit mine is a manual not an auto, I know not whether there is a difference ;) However I used EP80 in my gear box.. :D

Sorry not tried a clutch on the 9-5 yet, might be a little hard with my gravel drive. However looking at the Haynes it doesnt seem any more difficult than any other car.. ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EP80? Is that a brand? :confused:

X

·
0 Posts
The numbers and letters refer to the weight and viscosity of the oil. EP = Extreme Pressure, it is a mineral based oil. Synthetic is too slippery unless you have a new 9-5 or have upgraded to synthetic suitable synchros. Saab recommend the 80W-90 mineral gear oil, but in modded engines the EP80 seems to work very well. You can buy EP80 at most car shops.. :)

EP Gear Oils
Extreme Pressure Gear Oils that reduce wear under severe conditions of tooth contact pressure and sliding speed. --EP80 and EP 90 oils meet API GL4 and MIL-L-2105 specifications. --EP80/90 meets API GL5 specification --

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oooohhhhhhh, don't know if I'll be able to find that though. This is America, home of the automatic and pickup truck.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Oooohhhhhhh, don't know if I'll be able to find that though. This is America, home of the automatic and pickup truck.
I'm sure Abbott will ship it to you for about $500 :lol:

X

·
0 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
I'm sure Abbott will ship it to you for about $500 :lol:
I bought mine at Halfrauds, actualy is was quite cheap :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Oooohhhhhhh, don't know if I'll be able to find that though.
I have read great things about Amsoil products, dont they do an equivalent? :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been reading about this Red Line MTL (Manual Transmission Lubricant) and it's supposed to be the best stuff for synchromesh boxes. Of course my local Pep Boys doesn't stock it, I need to find a new auto parts place. :(

Finn, I've also read that EP80 can be corrosive to synchros. :eek: Not sure how true it is, need to do more research.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Raven,

Instead, you need to find a good old fashioned hot-rod speed shop in your area, they should have an equivilent as used in older US manual gearboxes on older generation 'vettes and Mustangs etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts