SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an idiot. I was trying to route the headphone input jack from my head unit under the steering column and up the side of the windshield and it appears I've broken something. The car was working fine 10 minutes ago, but now when I attempt to start it, it acts as if the battery is drained. Oddly enough, the rest of the car has power, no problem. The AC turns on, the head unit powers up (but won't play music), the lights come on. The engine just won't seem to turn over. I am guessing I severed an important wire, since there appears to be a broken solder point on a wire not connected to anything.

The end of the wire has an orange plastic housing that looks like it's meant to come apart, just...not at the point where it's come apart. It's pretty clearly broken, and I assume that I did this when I pulled the wire through. I heard something snap, which would make sense.

I have my mechanic coming out to look at it tonight, but I'm not entirely retarded so I thought I'd try to ask around, see if it's something quick and easy to fix. It's not my area of expertise by any means, but if I just have to re-solder two wires, I can handle that.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The whole everything turns on but the car won't turn over sounds like a problem with the starter. Have you tried jumping the car? Sometimes that can be enough to unstick a stuck solenoid.

Assuming of course that you didn't mess up something else...

·
Registered
649 Posts
if u have pic that'd be great.

Also, what the guys above said, try jumping your car. Your battery could have run down (specially if u have the 6 speaker package, that amp killed my battery one time. Granted it was a dying battery.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THe battery was replaced recently and the car wasn't even on for an hour. Here's a pic of what looks freshly broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a jump didn't do anything either. I'm genuinely unsure what I could have ****ed up, here.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is there any way that you can provide a good picture (or pictures) that shows where you started running the wire, where the broken wire is and where the wire you ran ended up? In other words, a path of the wire?

Also, did you disconnect the negative lead of the battery before you started the work? If there is power to the car, mucking around with the wires can lead to a temporary short, or you could nick some insulation and short to ground. This often results in a blown fuse. So, I would open up the fuse box and take a good look. There are some fuses that, if blown, will cause exactly the conditions you describe.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Back up and look at it with a fresh mind. First, when you turn the key what happens? If everything lights up and the air blows etc with nice bright lights and no obvious signs of drainage then you should be ok with the battery. When you turn the key to actually crank the car, do you hear a click or a buzz? Do any other lights come on? Where specifically were you working? What color are the wires running to that plug?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That orange connector looks like the airbag. (approx 15mm x 4mm ?) under the steering wheel?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
That orange connector looks like the airbag. (approx 15mm x 4mm ?) under the steering wheel?
Very close to the solution, very logical.
Lets hope that the negative battery terminal has been disconnected.
The, or a reason for the "no-start" is no power to the starter solenoid, as if that wire(yellow) was disconnected from the ignition switch.
Check your starter relay.
I miss PMI and his wonderful pictorials.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Back up and look at it with a fresh mind. First, when you turn the key what happens? If everything lights up and the air blows etc with nice bright lights and no obvious signs of drainage then you should be ok with the battery. When you turn the key to actually crank the car, do you hear a click or a buzz? Do any other lights come on? Where specifically were you working? What color are the wires running to that plug?"

I turn the key and the air blows, all lights are bright as ever. No sign of drained battery.

When I turn the key to crank the engine, it clicks. I let it sit overnight, and it once again seemed light it was almost "getting there" the first time. The second time i tried to crank it, it was like the battery was dead. It barely tried to do anything and it just clicked.

Nothing looks amiss in the fuse box in the dash. I'll check under the hood. I could attempt a video of what's happening. Might that help?

·
Registered
997 Posts
One of those cut wires could be a ground...you could have drained your battery...I'm not familiar with the connector but I thought the air bag one was yellow and more of a square with a nice tape around it saying do not disconnect unless trained (maybe i'm thinking of my '95 s10...).

All electrical work should be done without the battery connected... I've even drained my battery replacing the antenna mast...didn't realize it grounded to the body and bam it was dead in seconds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried jumping it last night. We didn't leave it connected for too long, but it didn't seem to be doing anything at all, in the least. A few poeple on YouTube commented on my video that my starter might be FUBAR. Why would my messing around with the stereo effect the starter?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Son of a *****, i tried jumping it again and it kicked on. UGH.

Also, the orange wire was to the SRS system, as my mechanic guy suggested. Guess I have to not get into a crash and die.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Son of a *****, i tried jumping it again and it kicked on. UGH.

Also, the orange wire was to the SRS system, as my mechanic guy suggested. Guess I have to not get into a crash and die.
Yeah chances are your starter solenoid found a position it didn't feel like moving from. Had the same issue about 2 weeks ago. Jumped it and was able to get it started and haven't had the problem since.

Picked up a spare starter and solenoid from picknpull and had it tested at autozone. Figure I'll keep that as a spare for if/when the solenoid really does decide to give out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts