SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im about to buy a 9-5 2.0 from 1998, it has 174000 km or around 100000 miles on the clock. It has a tuning-kit fitted by a certified Saab dealer.

Can some of you please post some advise on things to check before buying it, it had all the service checks, but it would be kind of neat to know if the model/year has some problems.

Till now i have the following on my list:
-Blue smoke at startup, sign of ineffective cooling
-SID display for lost pixels
-Soft PCV hose near dipstick

Even very small things will be appreciated, thanks :)

Edited!!!
Also, how is the transmission holding on the 9-5, specially on a 2.0 with tuning kit. Had som bad experiance with my old 9000 2.0T, think the transmission is made of butter or something.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome to saabcentral!

Things to check:
PCV hoses, cheap fix, but worth checking
Blue smoke.. could be anything from the pcv hose to turbo replacement so be careful!
SID pixels...well its a common thing, various fixes available, or just replace
ACC pixels, another LCD problem, again some fixes around!
Manual boxes can be troublesome... each gear should engage easily and smoothly, and in particular check 5th and reverse are easily found and engaged, and that the key comes out easily in reverse!
Rear shocks are another weak point, check stiffness, and also check for leaks!

Obviously check all the electrics work, no real glaring issues on the 9-5 there, anyone else ad anything?[/list]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx

Thanks for the info!!!

Could you be a bit more specific about "and that the key comes out easily in reverse!" ?

I'm not sure what you mean, that the transmission easily comes out of reverse?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi and welcome to Saabcentral :)

To clarify the Reverse thing,there have been some problems with the key not coming out of the barrel when reverse is selected when you are leaving the car.Also reverse can be difficult to select on some 9-5's or difficult to release.

I take it you are buying a manual 9-5?

As for the box lasting,Mines done 152,000 miles and is still sweet.Plus I've got 215bhp and 353nm of torque on my 2.0l :cheesy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts