SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last night someone stole the 900 from the trunk. No other vandalism just the badge. Is there anything special I have to do to replace it besides removing the old glue? Also is there any tips on how to do that and what glue to replace it with?

Thanks,

Morgan

Attachments

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
It's happened to me once or twice. My badges were supplied with an adhesive pad on the back. Just peel the paper off and stick on. Getting old ones off or remains of adhesive pad is easy-peasy if you use a hair drier or hot air blower to heat up the metal. Best to heat the back of the metal if you can get to it. Don't overdo it with the heat to preserve your paint.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
WD40 and an old tee shirt seem to work well for getting glue residue off of paint without mucking it (the paint) up. You'll then want to clean all the WD40 residue off with rubbing alcohol and a clean towel before applying the new badge (it won't stick well to the WD40 residue) -
Never had a 900 badge swiped - although someone did steal the VW emblem (the big one) off of the front of a '64 micro-bus I used to own.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah someone stole one ofmy turbo badges last year. I'm still looking for the moron with a pos riceburner with a turbo badge glued to it:roll:

Anyway if, like me, your new badge doesn't have glue on it, I used some clear automotive silicone adhesive and it seems to be working great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i'd highly recommend a dry towel and some Goo-Gone solvent to get the gummy adhesive off. Works great and has never had ill effects on my paint - it's fairly mild stuff and does the trick. An indispensable chemical tool, like liquid wrench :)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Just a thought, the adhesive is getting nigh on 20 years old, I've seen Saab badges fall off going down the road. It's a good idea to check and see if you have any getting loose, and if so remove and 3M trim tape them back on. The adhesive just fails.

It seems like the turbo badges are move prone to this, probably due to their location (opening, slamming, flexing of the hood) and being a large badge.

Anyhow, if you didn't see it on there the night before it might have simply came off. Just a thought.

As for reinstallation, clean both surfaces well with a good degreaser/dewaxer and cut 3M trim tape to fit with a razor, install.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

thanks for the advice. Later today I will prep it and make the car look better until I can get the new one on early next week. I know it was stolen because when we took the luggage out of the car for then night it was there. Then in the morning it was gone. I cannot wait to get the new badge on there cause right now I get angry again every time I see it. Since we are on a road trip right now and have to put the luggage in and out every day its getting annoying. At least I have been getting 31+ mpg through the trip so that makes it a little better.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Sure it didn't just fall off? Sometimes the tape starts to let go and it drops the letters... happened to the "S" on my old 900 S, luckily I noticed the S just resting on the bumper against the tail light before I left :lol:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am positive it was stolen. I would have noticed right away that something was odd. When I first saw it missing i could tell that something was wrong before I figured out what. All the other badges are on good and have no tool marks or wiggling. If the new 900 badge does not have the adhesive backing I will get the 3M stuff. They are good people I had an internship with them two summers ago. Fascinating processes for making adhesives. Also check out this pic my wife took on our trip. I think its pretty sweet. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,

Thanks but I got one in the mailbox ready to be picked up next time I go to work. I decided my vacation can go longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts