SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 2003 saab 9-5 and had the ac going on low, it started to blow warm air and the temp gauge went to the red all of a sudden, i turned the ac off and it slowly started dropping. i was only a mile from home so i drove home and parked it, i started it this morning and drove a little bit with no ac blowing and it drove fine for a while but started to go hot again then dropped to normal.
what could this be?
is it bad to keep driving it like this?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I was driving my 2003 saab 9-5 and had the ac going on low, it started to blow warm air and the temp gauge went to the red all of a sudden, i turned the ac off and it slowly started dropping. i was only a mile from home so i drove home and parked it, i started it this morning and drove a little bit with no ac blowing and it drove fine for a while but started to go hot again then dropped to normal.
what could this be?
is it bad to keep driving it like this?
I'd say that you've identified the problem -- I'd first suspect thermostat. Easy fix.

If that doesn't change things, then we're on to more unlikely causes.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Not so easy on the V6, what do you have?

In my case the temp dropped for no reason and next thing the top hose blew out. Had the hose and thermostat replaced (v6) and now all fine.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
On the V6 I paid around $ 250 but believe its very easy on the 4.

$ 115 sounds right, its about one hour labor plus the part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm supposed to drive an hour away. Almost all highway.. Should I be fine or should I postpone my trip? City driving it will rise to almost the red then go down when I'm driving steady

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
On the V6 I paid around $ 250 but believe its very easy on the 4.

$ 115 sounds right, its about one hour labor plus the part.
Spot on. Part is $50-ish, labor $60-ish, plus coolant.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
If you keep on driving it like this and your car over heats you are going to have some serious issues ahead.
This guy is right....

If you MUST DRIVE the car and don't have the parts, spend some time to take the existing thermostat out and cut the center part of it out so that it's allowing the coolant to flow. You'll end up with a CEL and a temp gauge that bottoms out but at least you will have a car that can run and you won't destroy it by overheating.

But if you're going to do all of that work, it's just as easy to go to a local parts store and find a thermostat and do the job right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well unfortunately i dont have the tools to replace anything. but i just brought it to the shop and he said without looking at it that it could also be the electric fan. could that be? if so how much should i be expecting to pay?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
well unfortunately i dont have the tools to replace anything. but i just brought it to the shop and he said without looking at it that it could also be the electric fan. could that be? if so how much should i be expecting to pay?
if they dont work on Saabs for a living or know Saabs, I wouldnt trust anything they say. Instead of paying them, take that money and Buy a set of tools and change the Thermostat, its not that hard and in the end you have the tools to start a collection for if and when things go wrong you can fix it yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts