SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know my thermostat needs to be replace. :cry: I have suffered what seems to be popular needle drop, cold air, and throw a CEL. I did learn the that if you turn off the ACC when the needle is dropping then it will rise back to normal. Why, I don't really know. Anyway, getting to the point. I have a V6 as many of you know Saab decided to put the thermostat in a non-friendly place. I have the black and decker socket extender which will reach the screws that hold the thermo down. My worry is that the screws aren't magnetic. Has anyone removed their theromstat without removing the intake manifolds? According to the WIS that is my options. If I am able to use the socket extender I think I can pull the Thermo. housing towards the radiator and out. Any ideas??????????

p.s. for the long drawn out post.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The screws are steel and a magnetic holder will retain them; what the WIS doesn't warn you about is that separating the thermo housing from its extension tube can be phenomenally difficult.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just replaced my thermostat a few weeks back as part of another repair job. I had the intakes off at the time and it really does give you more room to work. Like Ragtopcav says, the extension tube isn't a simple pull a part and replace operation. It will take some wiggling and twisting to seperate. Make sure you get some new o-rings for the extension tube while you're at it.

I had to replace the oil cooler cover so my intakes had to come out anyway.
I'm hoping I never have to replace the thermostat again but I knew if I didn't change it while I was in there it would go as soon as everything was back together!

If you take the intakes apart you'll probably just need the top paper gasket. The rubber gaskets on the lower intakes are more than likely reusable but I went ahead and replaced them too just to be on the safe side. The gaskets aren't cheap but the peace of mind is priceless!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts