SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people

A couple of questions concerning my 9-5 Aero 2.3t stage 1 noobtune

1. I am occasionally hearing my alarm going off in short bursts. There is no message on the SID though. Is there any easy way to find the problem?

2. When driving up a steep winding hill, if I change in to 2nd gear the engine bogs down and the TCS light shows up. I used to drive up the same hill in my 1.6 Toyota MR2 MK1 in 2nd gear fairly easily with a little wheel spin. I know its a lighter car but shouldn't the huge difference in horsepower make up for this? I am going to try it again without traction control on.

Any advice welcome

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I remember correctly TCS is an ABS system with electronic differential control added on as a side benefit. If one wheel has more angular velocity than the other on a driven axle, braking forces are introduced in a pulse mode, to hold back the wheel that's spinning whilst the other catches up.

A TCS/ABS error would be thrown when either the wheel sensor has gone flaky, or the ABS pump valves haven't responded quickly enough to a request. It is unlikely to be the latter, and if so, a new valve unit is warranted. More likely it is a wheel sensor playing up. A diagnostic plug on the car will tell you in minutes which it is. ABS error codes are comprehensive.

The alarm condition you describe is common. The horn (in the UK, its behind the passenger wheel well) is thrown off due to the capacitors failing. You can use the SID to silence the alarm completely. The handbook shows you how. Change this - and if it still comes back, the diagnostic will tell you which sensor is repeatedly throwing the alarm brain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruno. I didn't realise that it was a TCS error. I thought the light just came on because it was 'in use'.

I would rather not disable the alarm completely. At the minute I am locking manually with the key, mainly when I park where the alarm would disturb others. But if it helps diagnose the problem then I will disable it using SID and see what happens :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Alarm going off in short burst is failing capacitors or batteries inside your siren module.

Two options here:
1. Replace the capacitors and battery and hope for the best.
2. Have someone with a Tech2 reprogram the alarm to use the horn and forget about it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If I remember correctly TCS is an ABS system with electronic differential control added on as a side benefit. If one wheel has more angular velocity than the other on a driven axle, braking forces are introduced in a pulse mode, to hold back the wheel that's spinning whilst the other catches up.

A TCS/ABS error would be thrown when either the wheel sensor has gone flaky, or the ABS pump valves haven't responded quickly enough to a request. It is unlikely to be the latter, and if so, a new valve unit is warranted. More likely it is a wheel sensor playing up. A diagnostic plug on the car will tell you in minutes which it is. ABS error codes are comprehensive.

The alarm condition you describe is common. The horn (in the UK, its behind the passenger wheel well) is thrown off due to the capacitors failing. You can use the SID to silence the alarm completely. The handbook shows you how. Change this - and if it still comes back, the diagnostic will tell you which sensor is repeatedly throwing the alarm brain.
Disabling the Alarm with the SID is one time only. you have to do it everytime.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would rather not disable the alarm completely. At the minute I am locking manually with the key, mainly when I park where the alarm would disturb others. But if it helps diagnose the problem then I will disable it using SID and see what happens :)
My bad... I should have said that it is only a temporary fix to tell the SID to turn off all sounds. A permanent fix involves repairing the alarm sounder behind that plastic guard in the wing. Search on Ebay for "saab alarm kit" - and if you have someone to hand who understand how to use a soldering iron and sealants- you are about 6 hours away from fixing it:
- an hour to get to the device and remove it;
- 30 mins to split it open carefully;
- 90 mins to remove and replace the bits involved;
- an hour to cover with a waterproofing spray (which you need to pour over the circuit board to protect it afterwards) to go off - Maplin has this in cans;
- 30 mins to seal the box and leave it overnight to set
- 30 mins to put it back and grin.

Or if you find a good saab breaker you can get one of these for about £25 anyway.

There is a guide somewhere. you probably want to search for it on the internet. It is really easy to fix.

One thing. I don't know if you know about this. During the process you will need to remove the sounder. Before doing that please disconnect the battery and reconnect it when all the repairs are done. When you do reconnect, please first turn the ignition on, without cranking, or when you reconnect the alarm will scream blue murder at you and your neighbours - with your precious ears 8 inches away from its voice of indigation! That key position also enables the brain to clear the alarm codes, reset and allow it to think it all through again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts