SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am blacking out my 9-3 so that there is really nothing but black and red on it. I chose to use plasti dip because you can just peel it off if it doesn't turn out well (or you want to change the color), but the stuff is amazing.
It's a blast to work with and very forgiving while spraying. I did the grill like 3 weeks ago and love it (pics coming, if I can figure out how to post them). So now I am doing my wheels, stock 5 spokes
and making them black as well. Im probably going to pull it off to see the SAAB emblems again but haven't decided yet. Here are some iPhone pics in the process. I ended up with 5 coats applied very very generously. The alcohol was used to wipe the wheels down before I dipped to help take off the wheel cleaner and tire black on the beaded edge to help with better adhesion. Then I heated them quickly with a hair dryer to clean them and dry all the alcohol and began spraying leaving 30 minutes in between coats.

Third Coat

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finished up, more pics

Here are the Final Coat pictures (iPhone with poor light). Ill take some outside tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emblem cut out

Here is the emblem peeled off, looks amazing. Just wanted it to cure overnight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes - looks great.

One question - why do you have a wheel weight on the outside of your rim?
Yeah, mine do. I just cleaned them off and sprayed over them just like everything else. I can get a closeup if you want. Just let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, that does look quite good :) Have you also dipped your SE badge?
Thank you very much! Glad it looks good and is going over well in the forums. Yeah, I dipped the SE badges and the SAAB on the back (but I left the AAB filled in on the back. Really removing all chrome, and I took off the 93 years ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was just on the dipyourcar.com site and i think i am going to do my complete car this is awsome.....Thanks for posting this thread any color suggestions you have for me 97SE vert black top tan interior

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I guess the beauty is that you can do anything at all without it being permanent. Maybe white? Including the black plastic trim pieces.

How much for an entire coating?

·
Registered
33 Posts
they said to get the 3 gal kit for my car and for the complete kit including everything even the gloss it is $464.00 before tax and shipping and then if i want to do my wheels matte black with the complete wheel kit it is another $33.85 before tax and shipping so a total of $497.85 before tax and shipping to do the complete car and wheels

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
they said to get the 3 gal kit for my car and for the complete kit including everything even the gloss it is $464.00 before tax and shipping and then if i want to do my wheels matte black with the complete wheel kit it is another $33.85 before tax and shipping so a total of $497.85 before tax and shipping to do the complete car and wheels
I'd really think it over before you spend $500.00 on spraying your car with rubber paint.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think I would want to do my whole car in the stuff but for small bits its great. Think carefully before you purchase the whole car kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are my final pics from the whole project

This is with everything but the tailpipe done, still need to get to that.

They are still crappy iPhone pictures taken quickly in a rain break.

But otherwise this is how I've dreamt of my car looking since I bought it in '07. I am very happy with Plasti Dip for these purposes.

Wheel

Grill

rear SAAB

·
Registered
316 Posts
i plastidipped parts on my 98 900 aswell. The pillars where the black tape was, tops of the bumpers, side skirts works good and easy to come off :).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts