SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been rather chilly outside, yesterday the average temp was about 3 and felt like -21 with winds around 25 mph or so.

As a result, my rear passenger door was stuck open when my buddy tried to open it. He then held it shut for the short trip across campus.

I'm pretty sure it's a result of it getting up to 50 earlier in the week and then cooling down to freezing rain and other crappy precipitate. There was probably mositure accumulated on the mechanisms and that's why they didn't want to work.

What's the best way to ensure that my locks stay workable, and I don't have to enter from the hatch if all the doors are frozen?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about, im in NJ and its freezing. Do what i do and carry a lighter on you during days like this. If ur lock is frozen, pull out the light heat the key up and stick it in wait a second or 2 and ur lock should hopefull unfreeze. They also sell a spray that unfreezes your locks, i presume it would work on the door mechanisims as well

Imran

·
Registered
830 Posts
It sounds to me like he's talking about the latch, not the lock cylinder, especially on a rear door. I had this exact thing happen to my driver's door last month in some frigid weather (for here that means in the mid 20's F). The odd thing was, it would latch fine from the outside, albeit needing more force than usual, but would not latch from the inside no matter what I did. As soon as it warmed up later that day, it was fine, and has been ever since. I can only assume that the latch was sticking for some reason. I should think any oil meant to lubricate these would work wonders, same thing for key cylinders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
we used to have the same problem when we lived in sweden, we actually had a volvo then but on really cold mornings the doors just wouldnt close, especially the drivers side
and it was especially bad because the car was a straight drive, so trying to steer shift and hold the door closed became a bit of a problem.
after about 10 minutes of warming the latch up with a lighter seemed to do the trick tho, that and the heat from inside the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts