SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from NG900/old 9-3 land. Sorry if this has been discussed already, but what can you all tell me about this new 2.8 l V-6 in the SportCombi?

·
Registered
749 Posts
New aluminum 2.8V6 Turbo. 250 bhp/184 kW, exclusive to top-of-the-line Aero, with 32-valves, DOHC, variable intake valve timing and a twin-scroll turbocharger.

BOSCH is doing the engine managment for this one and I think it will be produced "down under" by Holden

A 300BHP version will be released by Hirsch as stage 1 without any further modifications done then the ECU mapping.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Saab's timing is near perfect. The new V6 is released as fuel prices hit an all-time high. I think I'll be keeping my 2.0T and 24mpg in heavy traffic for awhile...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but they really needed a V-6 if they want to be a true competitor to the Bimmers and the like. Audi's V-6 is a 2.8, isn't it? I mean, I love the turbo 4, of course, but some people just won't consider a 4 cyl in a premium car. THat's why I am glad to hear about a new v-6! Plus, WAGON! Of course, when I am ready to buy, there will be a lot of 9-5 Aero wagons cheap. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
bkrell said:
Yeah, but they really needed a V-6 if they want to be a true competitor to the Bimmers and the like. Audi's V-6 is a 2.8, isn't it? I mean, I love the turbo 4, of course, but some people just won't consider a 4 cyl in a premium car. THat's why I am glad to hear about a new v-6! Plus, WAGON! Of course, when I am ready to buy, there will be a lot of 9-5 Aero wagons cheap. Hmmmm.
No, it was at one time though. Just recently it was 3.0, but they now have a new 3.2 unit. No turbo though. Their turbo 6 is 2.7.

·
Registered
489 Posts
forget the turbo 6 - how about this in the Audi (A4) S4:

DOHC all-aluminum 90-degree 4.2 liter V8 with 5 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing and 2-stage intake manifold
Displacement: 4.2 liters (254 cu. in.)
Bore: 3.33 in.
Stroke: 3.65 in.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower (SAE net):
manual 340 @ 7000 rpm
Tiptronic 340 @ 6800 rpm
Torque: 302 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

Saab is a nice car and I really like mine, yet, if you're looking for an intense ride, the quattro S4 is it.

Jaime

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, well, I don't wanna pay for an S4! SportCombi or 9-5 will be fine for a family hauler.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
thomjam said:
forget the turbo 6 - how about this in the Audi (A4) S4:

DOHC all-aluminum 90-degree 4.2 liter V8 with 5 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing and 2-stage intake manifold
Displacement: 4.2 liters (254 cu. in.)
Bore: 3.33 in.
Stroke: 3.65 in.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower (SAE net):
manual 340 @ 7000 rpm
Tiptronic 340 @ 6800 rpm
Torque: 302 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

Saab is a nice car and I really like mine, yet, if you're looking for an intense ride, the quattro S4 is it.
I agree that the Audi S4 is an amazing performance vehicle. The Germans have a tendency towards anal retentiveness and over-doing things. A look at some of the recent AMG and M vehicles illustrates the point. SAAB has never been about absolute performance or absolute anything for that matter. SAAB's philosophy has always been about balance:

• balance between performance and economy
  • balance between ride and handling
  • balance between luxury and thrift
If you're looking for an outright performance vehicle, you should look somewhere else besides SAAB. Any vehicle is a compromise - vehicles which emphasize performance generally make severe compromises in one or more of the areas of comfort, safety, practicality and economy. SAAB has always stood for a Nordic balance among all the competing requirements and virtues of a vehicle.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The S4 will be amazing. So will the new M3 that will be a 4 litre v8.. old M5 engine i bets.. but you can't really compare them .

If saab made a 93ss v6 Turbo 250+ bhp loads of torque and 4WD I would be in line to get one.

Thing is.. the S4 and the M3 will be twice as much as a V6 turbo 93. So if you look at it like that then the 93 would be a bargin.. especially if you could get 300 bhp out of it.

as the saying goes... You pays ya money!

·
Registered
650 Posts
cswerin said:
New aluminum 2.8V6 Turbo. 250 bhp/184 kW, exclusive to top-of-the-line Aero, with 32-valves, DOHC, variable intake valve timing and a twin-scroll turbocharger.

BOSCH is doing the engine managment for this one and I think it will be produced "down under" by Holden

A 300BHP version will be released by Hirsch as stage 1 without any further modifications done then the ECU mapping.
i am willing to bet money its just the global v6 GM developed for use in just about everything, RWD/FWD/AWD, N/A or turbo it was made to do it all. lok at the current CTS's motors as an idea.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I just read in the new Motor Trend that it IS the GM high feature V-6 from the CTS but w/ sodium filled valves and a few other tweaks.

And that's fine w/ me as the CTS has lept up to near the top of Consumer Reports reliability list.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know from experience, but I have heard that the Audi A4 4-cylinder is rather peppy, while the V-6 is sedate and dull. I wonder if this is true of a SAAB V-6 as the 2.0 4-cylinder is lively yet balanced.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
finwake said:
I don't know from experience, but I have heard that the Audi A4 4-cylinder is rather peppy, while the V-6 is sedate and dull. I wonder if this is true of a SAAB V-6 as the 2.0 4-cylinder is lively yet balanced.
I've driven the 1.8T A4 and it's a dog (I know many others agree). You can mod it easily, but stock it's not very good for that heavy of a car. Never drove the v6

·
Registered
489 Posts
SAAB has always stood for a Nordic balance among all the competing requirements and virtues of a vehicle.
totally agree with your point of view which is why I also continue to buy/own Saabs.

Jaime

1 - 20 of 25 Posts