SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1821 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my archive search produced disappointing results on aftermarket HID install issues on the 9-3. So let's start this thread.

I'm interested in installing an aftermarket HID system in my 2007 60th anniv edition.

What brand/system has anyone used?

Which brands are good? It seems like there are a lot out there and most of the companies are names I have never heard of.

What type works well (3000K, 4000K, etc)? (this has been discussed in the archives, but I'll ask for completeness)

What are the issues in the 9-3 with tripping "front light failure" messages?

What are the issues with the HID ballast interaction with the power draw from the stock lighting ECU? Any problems with startup and shutdown?

Any other info/experiences you have with HID's would be great info.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
307 Posts
3rd stone from the sun said:
AFAIK, the only one that works well in the 9³ is the HIDS4U Ultimate kit.
Some of the members here have installed it and have had no strobing problems or bulb failure messages whatsoever. Installation is pretty straightforward.

More detailed info here: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=282
Not true at all. There is only a handful of people who make the kits and everyone else re badges it.
The 93 is not any more special when it comes to aftermarket hids.
The "light out" message is common on many newer cars and it can easily be defeated in the Saab by using load resistors. Tech II can also turn off the message by programing your car to say it has the Xenon.
The prices have come down a lot since it's inception and most of the kits can now be had for less than US $200.

I paid $135 for my kit and an extra set of bulbs for under $60. I get NO light out message ( I have not had my car programmed via Tech II for the Xenon) using the included load resistors.

Most of the kits recommend you turn off the DRL because they draw a lower wattage and can ruin the Ballast, but as you know the Saab uses the regular H7 and the full 55 watts so this does not apply but doing so can make your bulbs last longer; that is true with the factory HID's as well.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maliberti said:
Not true at all. There is only a handful of people who make the kits and everyone else re badges it.
The 93 is not any more special when it comes to aftermarket hids.
The "light out" message is common on many newer cars and it can easily be defeated in the Saab by using load resistors. Tech II can also turn off the message by programing your car to say it has the Xenon.
The prices have come down a lot since it's inception and most of the kits can now be had for less than US $200.

I paid $135 for my kit and an extra set of bulbs for under $60. I get NO light out message ( I have not had my car programmed via Tech II for the Xenon) using the included load resistors.

Most of the kits recommend you turn off the DRL because they draw a lower wattage and can ruin the Ballast, but as you know the Saab uses the regular H7 and the full 55 watts so this does not apply but doing so can make your bulbs last longer; that is true with the factory HID's as well.
So which brand did you install?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I didn't realize that Xenons were so cheap. Maybe I'd have gone for a 60th Anniversary had I known that upgrading to HID would be so cheap and easy.

As much as I like the stock seats, the 60th seats are way better.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. Love everything about the 60th Anniv, except no Xenons. Installing OEm HID's is really cost prohibitive, so I'll do aftermarket.

Is 6000K too bright? Do you get flashed alot?

Is 6000K actually brighter than 4000K, or is it just a color difference?

·
Registered
307 Posts
You will need to aim them properly and you will not get flashed.
The dealer did mine; the passenger side is higher than Driver side by design.
The 6k has a blue tint , the 5k is brighter and matches the factory hid of BMW and MB.

Remember, higher the Kelvin lower the light, it's Lumen's that determine the brightness.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maliberti said:
You will need to aim them properly and you will not get flashed.
The dealer did mine; the passenger side is higher than Driver side by design.
The 6k has a blue tint , the 5k is brighter and matches the factory hid of BMW and MB.

Remember, higher the Kelvin lower the light, it's Lumen's that determine the brightness.
What did you put in? 5000K, 6000K, 8000K??? Which one looks most like OEM Saab??

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the 5000k.

I forgot how bright these Hids actually are.
After some time you get acclimated and don't notice how bright they are, until you drive a car with Halogens, then it's WOW!.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maliberti said:
I have the 5000k.

I forgot how bright these Hids actually are.
After some time you get acclimated and don't notice how bright they are, until you drive a car with Halogens, then it's WOW!.
Do you get flashed alot???

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So who actually makes these kits? It seems like there are TONS of HID kits out there, but they are not associated with names I have heard of in automotive lighting...Phillips, Osram, Sylvania, etc.

Maliberti, who actually makes the kit that you have?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yup thats the backing, except in my car the metal backing is chrome colored.
It is pretty simple.
Just pull out the old light bulb and then slip off the metal bracket (like the one in pic, they may look slightly different).

Remember, if you order from Xenolink, email him and tell him you have a Saab and you need the resistors so the computer does not warn of light out.

Also with all these kit you have to plug in the new wires to the existing light plug, since you will be using the resistors it is important you hook up neg - to Neg - and Pos+ to Pos. In my car the wires were Grey and yellow. The Grey was the -(neg) and the Yellow was Positive, it may be a bit different in your car. It is pretty simple. I am a dummy when it comes to cars and it took me less than an hour to do this. Hardest part was finding the location for the Ballast on the right side.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i have cheap ones jlh or jlm i cant remember they were like $150 so i cant complain they are from my gti, so ive gotten my moneys worth out of them, and i believe that xenons wernt an option on the 60th ae
6000k xenon with hella blue bulbs in the fogs

( pictures taken with a SONY DSC-H9 without using flash or a tripod)

1 - 20 of 1821 Posts