SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has been with Wessy at Nottingham Saab for a couple of weeks primarily to solve the "massive missfire" problem.

I collected it today....................................:p

The missfire was the CPS - absolutely smooth as silk now!

Wessy also replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and broken manifold stud too, did an oil change and corrected the anti freeze strength.

But the bonus........................oh my word...........

Fully rebuilt transmission including:

Quaife LSD fitted
New gear kit fitted
New type crush sleve fitted ( http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105744&highlight=crush)
Lightened flywheel fitted
New slave cylinder
New clutch

The transformation in the feel of the gearbox is amazing.

The car has just 70K miles on it and the box was, in my opinion, just fine, but now it is soooooo smooth. The gear change is effortless, in fact twice, I quickly de clutched again thinking I had selected neutral instead of 2nd gear - but no, its that smooth.

The engine revs very freely with the new flywheel, it seems to "pick up" quicker.

I'm blown away - fantastic work from Wes and Karl as always :cool:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
This is going to be my first mod out of college (you know, when I have money finally). LSD and all the gearbox updates. :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The current Saab / Quaiffe RRP for all this lot is about £1000 (GBP) plus vat

Plus fitting of course.

Stipud, yes I have the poly mount, Robw gets those bits and ships them to me, they are available over here but I chose to spend my money with Nick ;)

LSD - no idea, what's it supposed to do :confused:

( to be fair I came home in heavy traffic so couldnt play - but the "pick up" throttle response felt razor sharp )

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
LSD - no idea, what's it supposed to do :confused:
You just installed it without knowing what it does? :lol:

It keeps the wheels from spinning independently.

If you floor your car enough to spin the wheels with a standard open differential, the wheel that is spinning will get all the torque, and the other wheel will remain stationary. A limited slip differential limits the difference in speed between the two sides, so instead of spinning one wheel into oblivion, both of your wheels share the torque, and your launch should be much quicker.

You will probably notice the most in the corners. Try powering out of a turn, and watch how the car behaves completely differently. With an open differential you would understeer, but with the LSD you will really power through the turn. Just don't lift off of your gas, because it can be kind of scary... you'll see what I mean... ;)

Play around with it when there's less traffic sometime. It's the weekend! Perfect time for a cruise.

Now get a dyno run done to make sure your A/F's are up to spec!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stipud said:
Now get a dyno run done to make sure your A/F's are up to spec!
No need AF meter bought and was used on many "on the road" test sessions ;)

(Can you now see why it needed a new clutch :p )

stipud said:
You just installed it without knowing what it does? :lol:
Nope I bought it cos you lot said it was absolutely nessesary (and the wife believed you :p )

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Nope I bought it cos you lot said it was absolutely nessesary (and the wife believed you :p )
Bawhahahaha, I'm keeping that for a while. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Take it out for a jaunt in the rain or snow, then you'll feel the difference :D

Looks like some good upgrades, but I must say, for that money you could have bought like 6 c900s!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TheRedBaron said:
but I must say, for that money you could have bought like 6 c900s!
Yes....................and I didnt................... :lol:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trollspeed said:
Chris what is CPS? I have "miss fireing" also.............:evil:

EJ
EJ, in my car it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor ;)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
RE:- Spendo in box.

I'm green as Kermit :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've also just got my car back, strangely enough have also had lightened flywheel fitted, and broken stud /manifold gasket done as well.
Have had SPEC stage 2 hybrid clutch fitted, much lighter than previous Aero clutch.
Already have LSD, take it easy at first when accelerating through corners-dont lift off too much!
You'll see what I mean when you make the mistake:cheesy:

Now I have to run clutch in for 450 miles so can't play for a while.:cry:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
afm said:
Already have LSD, take it easy at first when accelerating through corners-dont lift off too much!
You'll see what I mean when you make the mistake:cheesy:
Can someone please info those of us with no LSD, what the hell happens? :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
afm said:
I've also just got my car back, strangely enough have also had lightened flywheel fitted, and broken stud /manifold gasket done as well.
Have had SPEC stage 2 hybrid clutch fitted, much lighter than previous Aero clutch.
Almost twins :p

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nope I bought it cos you lot said it was absolutely necessary (and the wife believed you :p )
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
Don't forget to inform her for Saab engine power increasment and parts exchange programs.
It is obligational and was started for security reasons-to increase drivers safety and to keep the environment clean.

I already finish my first 1500 miles of engine run in and start to play.
Few more notes about LSD-it doesn't eliminate the wheels spin at all-just both of them spin at once and the car keeps direction.Also as i mentioned before-much faster line change-may be from the new 50 hp/100Nm also.
I can't understand this thing with turns,LSD and throttle off-I've been tried especially to find what is it and go into turn fast,lift off and nothing happens:eek:,done it several times-the car just slow down.
On wet road ,in hard rain with winter tyres,after fast overtaking I felt some kind of over steer-it needs bigger correction than usual to straight the line,but nothing else.
May be I didn't enter the turn fast enough?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can't understand this thing with turns,LSD and throttle off-I've been tried especially to find what is it and go into turn fast,lift off and nothing happens:eek:,done it several times-the car just slow down.
Try accelerating all the way through a corner and change gear when mid corner. (best to try where there are no obstacles though)
The engine goes from full power to nothing,so the front wheels try to straighten themselves out to direction car is facing.
This can wrench the steering wheel violently away from the direction of steer. Subsequently the car will follow the front wheels, needing correction, if you're going fast this can be hair raising!

Automatic reaction when it it seems you're going TOO fast round a corner is to lift off the throttle (as no wheel spin acceleration round corners is very different, i.e. no wheelspin, just power going down to floor)

The first time I did it it almost broke my wrist;oops:
This was on a hairpin corner in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks afm - having had a tuned auto that would kick down mid bend (and do similar things), I dont think I'll be making gear changes mid corner............certainly not now ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts