SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car to the indy today, he said he bled it and it still catches very close to the floor. He says that either the slave is shot, or the fingers of the pressure plate have lost their tension and consequently are catching lower. Does this sound reasonable? He says that I may be drawing in air through the seals in the slave, which would answer why the clutch pedals seems to catch lower and lower and get lazier and lazier as I mount miles in a day.
-Cm

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't get it one bit though; the pedals gets soft, and sticks at the floor, so I install a new master cylinder. Once that goes in the pedals catches WAY at the top, I mean tippy top of the pedal travel. Soon thereafter it degraded until failure, so I bleed it again. Once it's bled it works fine for two days of driving, then it feels like I need to rebleed it. If the slave failed why the high catch point after a bleed? BTW I am not sure if he used a pressure bleeder, but he did bled the whole system nearly two years ago and he did a perfect job.
-Cm
P.S interestingly enough, he said he has seen this happened a LOT with "old" Saabs (og900), and that they were much easier to repair than my transaxel;oops:
Meh, I really want a 900 now, such a BAMF mobile!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mechanic said that the reason for it being high and catching high at first as due to air in the lines despite my bleeding.He said he found no air. I have researched this further, and it seems that it is possible that there is something wrong with the lines (which are solid so I dont know how), the master (which I just replaced) or the slave. I know there is a a viewing port on the car, but apparently a way to test is to see if the slave moves when the clutch is depressed, how does one do it on Saabs as the viewing port is worthless.
Here is a pic because text is boring

-Cm

·
Registered
353 Posts
P.S interestingly enough, he said he has seen this happened a LOT with "old" Saabs (og900), and that they were much easier to repair than my transaxel;oops:
Meh, I really want a 900 now
If you think that's something- When I bought that og900, it 105,000 on the clock, with signs of the slave going. I never did replace it. Or the clutch. It went until 279,000 when the shift linkage broke. I think the beginning of the end was the ham fisted mulleted kid at emission testing jamming it from gear to gear for the rolling sniff test. The linkage went out completely the day after. Kind of hard to prove somebody else did the damage since I was able to drive away.

I told my indy "If it takes more than 10 hours, its yours." And it did, and I let him have it (on good terms). I don't think he replaced either part. And then he drove it for another 30,000; and then if I remember right, either the clutch or slave was completely finished.

I just hope my current Saab will be near as reliable, because the 9000CD I had in between these two sure wasn't....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts